Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay DIY hay racks

• Thread starter guineapigpalace
  • Start date

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
So I'm getting some some piggies pretty soon and I've been doing countless hours of research preparing for the little guys. Part of my research being watching YouTube videos to get an idea of food, cleaning and making fleece items. One thing that I've noticed in videos is different types of DIY hay racks. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on what kind they use and how they work best for them? I would prefer one that doesn't need to be filled up every couple of hours, like my rabbit's did because I'm not constantly home to keep shoving hay into their racks. Thanks in advance.:)

mdodge

Cavy Slave
What I use and was very easy is a suet holder for bird food.I cut the wire to make an access hole so they can get to it easier.I filed down the little nubs from cutting it do nothing scrapes them.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
When I get home from wrk I can post a few pics of it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are dozens of pictures of hay racks in the Photo Galleries.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I zipped tied to bent grids together, it made like a diamond shape, so it's as tall as the grids of the cage and holds a lot of hay. Just use the c clips to hold it to the cage or if you use a lid because it stands a little higher the lid will hold it in place. DO NOT zip tie it, you need to remove it to clean the cage. I also found my piggies stand to eat from it, so I have a few inches that aren't touched or maybe it's what they do not pick out at the bottom. When I clean the cage and go to put everything back in, I just push it out so they have a pile to play in and fill it back up.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your guys help, I'll go check out the photo galleries.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Right now due to medical issues with the strength on my hands, I couldn't build my own hay rack, so I took the easy way out and ordered a hay bag from The Guinea Pig Market with red and pink hearts all over it. I subscribe to skinnypig1 (I spelled her name wrong) on YouTube and she has them in all her cages and they are so easy to fill, done! Can't wait for it to arrive at the end of next week!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I think what ever works for us is the best. I just tried the v shaped and the first night, they didn't eat any hay all night. You might have to try a few different one to see which works best for you and your pigs.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
20160902_184757_HDR.jpg20160902_184819_HDR.jpg20160731_054644.jpg

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Right now due to medical issues with the strength on my hands, I couldn't build my own hay rack, so I took the easy way out and ordered a hay bag from The Guinea Pig Market with red and pink hearts all over it. I subscribe to skinnypig1 (I spelled her name wrong) on YouTube and she has them in all her cages and they are so easy to fill, done! Can't wait for it to arrive at the end of next week!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinnypig1 is actually a YouTuber that I have been watching recently. Along with Pet Palace TV (I think). I think that I will shot for those maybe. What are some tips that one may have to avoid one pig from hogging the bin. I thought about using a large plastic box that have hole in the side that are big enough for them to pull hay out but not big enough to to get their heads stuck, with a smaller box on the inside to keep the hay against the walls. So now I'll have a couple of options I could try in case one appears to not work.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
100_0928.jpg100_0927.jpgWith the two grids bent together, the pigs can go all around it, it can't be hogged as you can see. The pigs can eat hay even as a cat eats hay.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Right now I'm deciding between building a wooden one to permanently attach to the cage or a hay bag. I think I'll start with the hay bag and if they don't like it or they climb inside and give me a heart attack, then I'll switch over to the wooden one if I see some issues. I hope to get 2 same-sex siblings that have been together since birth so hopefully no disputes over hay.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Love the cat. I want to introduce my cat to my piggies, but I'm scared that she'll attack them or something. She's a really playful kitten. :)

Kittens are tough, they play rough. Paul was a kitten with the pigs and just was very laid back. He loves eating the hay. We have another that gets in all the time and lays down in any hay or under the hidies. Paul the cat in this photo keeps getting in that box of hay in the back. I'd clip that blue tarp on and he'd start digging hole at the bottom of the box if he couldn't get hay some how. 100_0674.jpg100_0663.jpg100_0678.jpg100_0741.jpg100_0744.jpg

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
100_0815.jpg100_0816.jpgAndy is always around the piggies too.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Our cat, who's now fine with the pigs, was hell on wheels (well, ok, paws) when he was a kitten. We had to use a lid on the cage until he was about a year and a half old, and then he lost interest in trying to swat them through the lid.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Our cat, who's now fine with the pigs, was hell on wheels (well, ok, paws) when he was a kitten. We had to use a lid on the cage until he was about a year and a half old, and then he lost interest in trying to swat them through the lid.
My cat is thankfully confined fairly well to one area of the house, plus my door is always shut so she can't get to them. I think she'll love them but she going to turn 1 in a little but and is far to playful

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.