Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

Re: How bad do males really smell?

You could go to the rescue (or even a pet store) and ask to hold one/have an employee hold one so your mom can smell for herself, perhaps? It's also possible she's using the "smell" as an excuse and just doesn't feel like getting them, depending on her personality. I don't know your mom :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,549 Rec'd/1,274 Posts
    Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1149 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia_Jewel1 View Post
    My mum always says that they will just stink the house out and i told her they won't because i will clean the cage twice a week. My mum still said no, she said that is not true they are just smelly
    If you only clean the cage twice a week, YOU BET THEY WILL SMELL! A cage needs to be cleaned (well, tidied) twice a day. A full cleaning may be done once a week on the average, depending on how they are housed.

Your best investment is an air purifier/cleaner next to the cage in your room. I have a Homedics that runs 24/7 and has done so for five years. They really don't draw much electricity and aren't expensive to run. The initial cost is an investment, but the quality is excellent and it will last for years.

If a cavy is kept in a clean environment, it won't smell.........male or female. If they get to the point of not passing the "sniff test", then it's time for a bath.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

@spy9doc Which air purifier do you have? And do you feel like it's loud? I was thinking about getting one for the living room. Does it help with the hay smell? I myself love the smell of fresh hay but I do get comments that it makes it smell like a farm at my house. My sister admits it's not a pee smell, just the hay smell. Don't want to spend the money if it won't really help with that or if it's going to be really loud.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,549 Rec'd/1,274 Posts
    Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1149 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barbaramudge View Post
    @spy9doc Which air purifier do you have? And do you feel like it's loud?
    Sorry, Barbara, I just saw this post. I have a HoMedics air purifier which was purchased from BBB about 5-6 yr. ago and it has literally run 24/7 with nary a hiccup. We actually bought both the large and small model, but the large one has been in storage as the smaller seems to be quite adequate. I just brush the filter about once a month and buy a new one every year.

Apparently, BBB no longer carries either of the models but they can be found elsewhere. I have the air cleaner in my small home office where the piggies live. I also have most of my clothes in that room and a few of them actually hang over the cage. My clothes never smell and there is rarely any cage smell. I find the unit to be whisper quiet......almost like white noise. It has three speeds and I operate it on low most of the time.

HoMedics® True HEPA 75 CADR Air Cleaner
    a/k/a Homedics AF-10 True Hepa Air Cleaner 75

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Excellent. Thank you for the info. I think I'll add this to my wish list.
    Using Tapatalk

User Tag List