Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/3 Posts

Adoption questions and concerns

There's someone that has 4 piggies for adoption. I'm only looking for two. I'm concerned because I don't want to break up their group. Is this something I should worry about? Is there any questions I can ask the owner that would decide the matter?

Also, when quarantining, do you need to quarantine 2 piggies that were adopted from the same person away from your piggy AND the other adopted piggy, or can you keep them in the same cage and just quarantine them from your own piggy?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/16 Posts

Re: Adoption questions and concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyinred View Post
    There's someone that has 4 piggies for adoption. I'm only looking for two. I'm concerned because I don't want to break up their group. Is this something I should worry about? Is there any questions I can ask the owner that would decide the matter?

Also, when quarantining, do you need to quarantine 2 piggies that were adopted from the same person away from your piggy AND the other adopted piggy, or can you keep them in the same cage and just quarantine them from your own piggy?
    If all three guinea pigs are being adopted from the same person and they are already cage mates, then you can quarantine them from your current piggy together.

Otherwise, your pigs must be quarantined by themselves, or their cage mates that they were adopted with.

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,513 Rec'd/6,003 Posts

If the pigs are already together, there's absolutely no point in quarantining them from each other. Quarantine is to keep them from infecting each other with diseases/parasites, and if they're living together, they're already thoroughly exposed.

If the people are willing to break up the foursome, I think it would be fine to take two of them. You just don't want to take/leave one piggy alone.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts

Personally, I'd try not to split up a bonded group, but it's not a disaster if you do, if you have your heart set on those pigs or if others aren't available. Ask the person which two get along best and adopt those two.

As for quarantine, there's no point in quarantining bonded cagemates separately, especially since you'd have to reintroduce them after. You can keep the two you're adopting together during quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/3 Posts

Wow. Thanks for the thorough answers guys. It's been a big help.

User Tag List