Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Bringing piggies on vacation

Hi, so I currently have two beautiful lady pigs in a 4X2 C&C cage. These gals are relatively new to my life so there are a few things I still haven't completely figured out.

My current dilemma is that my parents live about 2.5 hours away and I would love to visit them this labor day weekend. My father loves guinea pigs (he had them growing up) and I would really love to bring them down so that he can see them, and I can make sure they're ok. So I was wondering, since C&C cages are pretty big and seem a bit difficult to move, would buying a smaller cage to use for small weekend get away be ok for them? I was looking at one that would be 42 X 12 inches. I know that's really small but it would only ever be a max of two days and that's about what size would be able to fit in the car. Also, I'm wondering if the drive would be too long for them. I would obviously supply them with all the amenities they already have (plenty of water, food and hidey holes).

So basically, is the size ok for a couple days? Is 2.5 hours too long of a drive for them? Would it be better for me to just get a friend to check in on them every day?

Thank you!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts

Re: Bringing piggies on vacation

^similar<br>we visit my parents twice a year, they are a 5 hour drive.<br>i make a 3.5x1 cage for the back seat and that's their travel cage. They only get their water bottle at rest stops, but they will have water soaked carrots and cucumbers the whole time, unlimited hay.&nbsp;<br>When I get to my parents I have extra grids which I have previously zip tied together, but binder clips aren't a bad idea. And I bring a 3x3 liner and put 2 taped trash bags underneath.&nbsp;<br>If you don't have any other animals at your parents house consider asking them to get a $5 plastic kiddie pool at Walmart mart and using that as a temporary cage.&nbsp;

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Would you be willing to maybe post a picture of your travel cage? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. I do have extra grids and zip ties though so that might not be a bad idea!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

So instead of the corporate base you put down trash bags? Did I get that right? I use fleece bedding so just put that down on top of it? My parents do have a very elderly small dog so my pigs will be in a room behind closed doors on this trip

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts

Yeah, I cut up the sides of contractor bags (big thick trash bags) and use packing tape to seal them together.
    The travel cage is half disassembled at the moment, but its one grid wide, one grid tall, 3 grids long, then a fourth grid overlaps the third to get to the width of the back seat of the truck.
    kinda like
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	80419  
    Last edited by Saylavi; 08-29-16 at 09:02 pm.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! This will honestly save me like $60 and will make my babies so much more comfortable! I really appreciate your help

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts

(Double post)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts

I'm glad I could. Just make sure to bring enough grids and always have bedding under them. In the car I fold one of my bigger liners, then the liner I use under the cage at my parents house is bigger than the cage.
    Oh, and tape that plastic really well!
    edit: if you have them in a 2x4 at home, you will need 10 grids for just the sides or 18 for sides and top. If you do have room for 3.5 grids in your vehicle, the travel cage part will take 18 grids. And I do recommend zip ties for the travel part, since they will be carried in it. A pack of zip ties is a couple bucks and scissors are scissors.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Thank you! I hope I have enough grids, if not I guess I can take a few from their current cage right before we leave. And I have tons of zip ties I bought em in bulk when I first built my cage. As for the bedding I have 4 fleece liners I made with bed pads in them so I think I should be good!

User Tag List