Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Advice for coughing piggy?

So one of my girls started coughing today. I was sitting on the cough after giving them their morning veggies and I heard one make a weird noise with the water bottle (sounded like she hit it or pushed it out too far or something) and then a very loud cough. This is the first time I've heard either of my piggies do this but I assumed she ate too fast. About an hour later however I had her in my lap and she coughed again! Is that normal if she ate too fast to be still doing it an hour later? Should I take her to the vet or watch her for now? At what point should I take her to the vet? Thankfully I live near a college with an amazing vet program so I'm not too worried, I just don't want to waste money if this is nothing.

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,511 Rec'd/6,002 Posts

Re: Advice for coughing piggy?

I wouldn't go to the vet for two coughs, but I would pay close attention. If she's mainly doing it when she's eating or drinking, it's probably nothing to worry about. If she keeps coughing, or develops a runny nose or eyes, then it's time to see the vet.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Thank you! I assumed it was nothing to worry about at this point but I wanted to know what more I should be watching for, so thank you very much!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

I definitely agree with bpatters. Our girls tend to cough when they are annihilating their food, but I usually wait and watch for a runny nose, sneezing, or coughing that's frequent.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts

I'll also add to keep an eye on their appetites. If they stop eating that's a surefire sign of something wrong. As long as the coughs don't happen often, there's no discharge, and they're eating, you're fine. One of my pigs always coughs when she drinks a lot of water, and it used to scare me so badly but she's just a messy drinker.

User Tag List