Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Advice for coughing piggy?

Yopegranny

Cavy Slave
So one of my girls started coughing today. I was sitting on the cough after giving them their morning veggies and I heard one make a weird noise with the water bottle (sounded like she hit it or pushed it out too far or something) and then a very loud cough. This is the first time I've heard either of my piggies do this but I assumed she ate too fast. About an hour later however I had her in my lap and she coughed again! Is that normal if she ate too fast to be still doing it an hour later? Should I take her to the vet or watch her for now? At what point should I take her to the vet? Thankfully I live near a college with an amazing vet program so I'm not too worried, I just don't want to waste money if this is nothing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't go to the vet for two coughs, but I would pay close attention. If she's mainly doing it when she's eating or drinking, it's probably nothing to worry about. If she keeps coughing, or develops a runny nose or eyes, then it's time to see the vet.

Yopegranny

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I assumed it was nothing to worry about at this point but I wanted to know what more I should be watching for, so thank you very much!

Maria_143

Cavy Gazer
I definitely agree with bpatters. Our girls tend to cough when they are annihilating their food, but I usually wait and watch for a runny nose, sneezing, or coughing that's frequent.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'll also add to keep an eye on their appetites. If they stop eating that's a surefire sign of something wrong. As long as the coughs don't happen often, there's no discharge, and they're eating, you're fine. One of my pigs always coughs when she drinks a lot of water, and it used to scare me so badly but she's just a messy drinker.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.