Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives My DIY cage! What do you think?

Lavinia

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone :) I recently extended my smaller DIY cage and now my boys have had a major upgrade to their accommodation /palace! Haha. What do you think?

[video=youtube_share;AOXi0IFnYYM]https://youtu.be/AOXi0IFnYYM[/video]

I love it :):love:

Margey

Cavy Slave
Amazing! I liked the piggie running laps! My girls do that too.
I have them in a Midwest guinea pig cage and what do you think? An upgrade to a 2x4 grid cage (which everone recomends) would only be 9" longer on one side and 4" longer on the other side. Is it worth it? Thanks! ~Margey

Lavinia

Cavy Slave
I have them in a Midwest guinea pig cage and what do you think? An upgrade to a 2x4 grid cage (which everone recomends) would only be 9" longer on one side and 4" longer on the other side. Is it worth it? Thanks! ~Margey

It's absolutley worth it. My motto is give as much extra space as you can. My cage works out to be 8 by 2.5 c&c grids. They will certainly appreciate any extra space you can give them. :)

Margey

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice. If possible, I will upgrade! I plan to build it myself. Bye! ~Margey :-D

baileyrianne

Cavy Slave
Your piggies and cage are adorable! What is in the pink pan in the right corner, under the second story?

Lavinia

Cavy Slave
Your piggies and cage are adorable! What is in the pink pan in the right corner, under the second story?

baileyrianne

Cavy Slave
Do you have wood pellets underneath all of your fleece or only in the corner?

Lavinia

Cavy Slave
It's just in the two trays. I'm going to experiment with it under the fleece at some point but for now I use my fleece liners with just a bit of bedding in the trays that they like to sit and munch the hay. :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Very nice, I love the clear front!
`

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Very nice and clean looking

Gandalf

Cavy Slave

If you go by the dimensions listed online, I'm seeing a difference of just 3" on one side (and 9" on the other). But even using those lesser dimensions it still makes a big difference in the overall size of the cage. The 2x4 grid cages has an area of 1512 square inches. The Midwest has 1128 square inches.

That means the upgrade of "just" 3" on one side and 9" on the other is actually an additional 384 square inches! That's more than 2 1/2 square feet! --worth it, yes! :)

[The second pair of piggies I rescued had been kept in a cage that itself was only about 2 square feet.]:eek:hmy:

Margey

Cavy Slave
If you go by the dimensions listed online, I'm seeing a difference of just 3" on one side (and 9" on the other). But even using those lesser dimensions it still makes a big difference in the overall size of the cage. The 2x4 grid cages has an area of 1512 square inches. The Midwest has 1128 square inches.

That means the upgrade of "just" 3" on one side and 9" on the other is actually an additional 384 square inches! That's more than 2 1/2 square feet! --worth it, yes! :)

[The second pair of piggies I rescued had been kept in a cage that itself was only about 2 square feet.]:eek:hmy:

Wow thanks Gandalf for doing the calculating for me, yes it does sound worth it! I will look into the upgrade when I get over my flu. :) ~Margey

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.