Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: URI but Baytril Gone Wrong! Already been to Vets Twice! New Memember!

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: URI but Baytril Gone Wrong! Already been to Vets Twice! New Memember!

That is what my heart is telling me to do bpatters. That was one of our options for today. It's so terribly frustrating because the Bactrim truly seemed to help Ginger in feeling so much better. This is the most active she has been, but I cannot stand to see the horrible poops all around the cage and I am so terrified of her getting super dehydrated. Since they are filling this stuff, I probably will just pick it up. I may wait though and see.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a quick update! The new drug is called Metronidazole. I did go and pick up this medication. I would rather have it on hand and not need it. Then need it and not have it. Ginger's poops are actually seeming to stiffen up on their own. She has been eating all day long, especially her hay. :) So I am hoping that is doing the trick without the need for this new medication. I am so scared to take her off the Bactrim completely, as her overall being has improved 100% since the infection and baytril incident. I might skip the night dose of Bactrim and continue per usual tomorrow morning.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

Not taking a pig off of an antibiotic that's causing diarrhea because of potential future illness sounds like a bad idea to me. When I last had Baytril prescribed for a pig, the vet told me to get her off of it immediately if the probiotic wasn't enough to keep my pig's digestion fairly normal. (To be fair, she was barely sick, if it was a severe URI the vet might've advised me differently.) I'm glad to hear she's doing better and I hope she keeps eating and her poops are normal soon!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

Don't skip doses of Bactrim, or any other antibiotic. All that does is contribute to antibiotic-resistant organisms, and they're more likely not to work the next time. Either give it or don't, but don't give it inconsistently.

Although metronidazole, also known as flagyl, is an antibiotic, it's different than most of the others, and most pigs tolerate it without any problems. I've had to give it a few times, and have never even needed a probiotic with it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaycriae View Post
    Not taking a pig off of an antibiotic that's causing diarrhea because of potential future illness sounds like a bad idea to me. When I last had Baytril prescribed for a pig, the vet told me to get her off of it immediately if the probiotic wasn't enough to keep my pig's digestion fairly normal. (To be fair, she was barely sick, if it was a severe URI the vet might've advised me differently.) I'm glad to hear she's doing better and I hope she keeps eating and her poops are normal soon!
    Thanks for your input jaycriae! It seems like that would be so, but her vet was concerned because she was on Baytril for 4 days and then has only been on Bactrim for 3, which she has improved on the Bactrim. If I do decide to take her off the Bactrim totally, I think I will still give her the probiotic. It's totally been stressing me out because I feel that the Cisapride is what kind of prompted all of this, but I know that this can happen with antibiotic use and her vet agreed with me on that one.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Don't skip doses of Bactrim, or any other antibiotic. All that does is contribute to antibiotic-resistant organisms, and they're more likely not to work the next time. Either give it or don't, but don't give it inconsistently.

Although metronidazole, also known as flagyl, is an antibiotic, it's different than most of the others, and most pigs tolerate it without any problems. I've had to give it a few times, and have never even needed a probiotic with it.
    Thanks for that bpatters. I was told by the vet to continue her on Bactrim with a probiotic and give metronidazole in addition to this. I am so unsure about this... 2 antibiotics...

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

They have different actions, and the metronidazole is unlikely to make things worse. If it does, you can stop it and continue with the Bactrim.

8. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well Ginger now seems to be pooping completely normal. It's as if nothing ever happened. I think I am going to give her the Bactrim and Probiotic tonight and see how she does. If the diarrhea comes back, then I will try adding in the metronidazole as directed and if there is no change, then I am taking her completely off everything. Sorry for the back and forth nature of my posts. I swear, no matter how many piggies you have, there will always be a new thing you've never experienced that arises!

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They have different actions, and the metronidazole is unlikely to make things worse. If it does, you can stop it and continue with the Bactrim.
    Oh okay. Now this is making sense! I couldn't really understand all the technical terms the vet was giving me, but I was basically told that the metronidazole works with the gut.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone know how the metronidazole is going to help with the diarrhea?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

It's an antibiotic that specifically works against bacterial overgrowth in the gut. It's also somewhat effective against parasites, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

13. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's an antibiotic that specifically works against bacterial overgrowth in the gut. It's also somewhat effective against parasites, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.
    That is definitely interesting. Well I have given Ginger her dose of Bactrim. In about an hour I guess I will give the metronidazole a try (as her poops got mushy again) and then the probiotic an hour after that. *sighs* I really hope our poor Ginger is okay. She is acting like her old self again and I would hate for another tummy upset to ruin that. I will keep updating. Thank you everyone for your help! It's so nice to have this wonderful support group! If things don't start letting up tomorrow, she's gonna be off of EVERYTHING.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

UPDATE AGAIN! So I was very happy to see these poops in the cage an hour after giving the Bactrim. I am hoping that the probiotics are beginning to level everything out. I never thought I would be THIS excited over regular piggy poop. And of course, Ginger finally wanted to say HI!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160825_004309.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	80387  

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

Yay Ginger! She's very lovely, and she looks very proud of her normal little poop. Good for her!

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaycriae View Post
    Yay Ginger! She's very lovely, and she looks very proud of her normal little poop. Good for her!
    She does, doesn't she?! And thank you @jaycriae ! She's the first (what we think anyway) short haired piggy we've ever had. All our other piggies have been long haired so I am quite excited about not having to hassle with hiney care and trims

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

UPDATE! I am happy to report that Ginger is 100% back to her normal, energetic loving self! I felt so relieved waking up this morning and not seeing a huge mess of diarrhea in the cage! One happy piggy and one EXTREMELY happy Mommy! lol

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just wanted to thank you all for all of your support and good advice. We lost our little Ginger this morning at 5am. She died completely suddenly. She was acting totally normal, eating and pooping and drinking normally. I truly feel that her little heart could not take everything she was going through or it was an antibiotic upset. If anyone can help me in shutting down my account, that would be greatly appreciated. I just need time to heal with my fur babies that I have left and am not really feeling up to being a member of this forum anymore. Thank you in advance. - Maria <3

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

I'm so sorry you lost her.

We don't shut down accounts, but threads that don't have any activity drop to the background, and are inactive after six months.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

I'm so sorry for your loss.she's free of any illness now waiting for you running free in the dandelion fields.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rainbowbridge2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	80416

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you both @bpatters and @mdodge . I truly appreciate it. <3 It is such a horrible feeling losing 2 babies within 2 weeks of each other. While they both died for different reasons, what happened to Ginger has completely upset my entire household. I suppose that is the risk we take when we adopt any pet. We just never know. <3

User Tag List