Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Trio introductions aren't going smoothly Help! Should I separate them?

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Yesterday I adopted a new female piggie from a rescue in hopes of introducing her to my bonded pair to make a trio. they met at the rescue last light for like 45 minutes and there was little bit of fighting so this morning I put them into a very large neutral playpen on brand new fleece In an area they've never been and introductions didn't go too smoothly The New piggies was trying to be dominant but one of my guinea pigs is also very dominant there were lots of lunges and pulling out of hair but no blood so i didn't separate them but it was very scary there were times when everything was calm but at least 7 or 8 times during the 6 hour introduction there was a mini fight where they went at each other and hair got pulled out but then they both backed away once the hair got pulled out towards the end though everything settled down so I decided to put then in the Completely cleaned out and re arranged cage. When I first put them in there were no problems but then about 2 hours later there was one little scuffle and some more hair gut pulled out but now about 3 hours later everything seems to be fine they all retreated to a different corner of the cage and there is nothing happening but when they pass by each other there is still teeth chattering and rumble strutting going on , Do you think that I should separate them tonight or do you think they should stay together They live in my room so if anything happens during the night I will most likely hear it but I don't want to put any pig in danger What do you guys think?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't separate them. You'll have to start all over again from square one.

Take all the hideys out of the cage and replace them with fleece or cloth clipped across the corners. Put piles of hay and food all over the cage, and have multiple pellet dishes and water bottles at each end of the cage.

How big is your cage?

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
My cage is 20 square feet all of the hideys have 2 entrances or are cuddle cups should i still take them Out or are they OK to leave in ? @bpatters

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
IMG_0105.jpgThis is what the cage looks like right now

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If I had the cloth to drape in the corners, I'd take everything out. The less furniture there is, the less there is to squabble over.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.