Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

3 Day old pups - help with gender please?

Michiibelle

Cavy Gazer
:?: Hello! I am new to this forum and Guinea Pigs as well.
My daughter got a rescue female pig in June of 2016. Her name is Sunny.
We noticed she grew quite fast and about a week ago I finally realized she was not just fat, but pregnant.

I was frantic about caring for her so I have been reading everything I can online to make sure I know what to watch for.
When I woke up Monday morning the pups were here!
There are three of them. We are in love with them and Sunny seems to be caring for them very well.

The one thing I am concerned about is what their gender may be, because we do not want Sunny pregnant again nor any other little piggies.

We do want to keep them all and will do whatever is necessary such as building them a new cage for boars so that pregnancy does not happen again.

I'm curious if someone could help us figure out what their gender is, or is it just too soon?
AND, how fast do they need to be removed from Sunny.
They are so very sweet and nursing and cuddling their mommy, I just can't bear to think about separating them but I know it should be done within a few weeks.

I'm going to try to add a photo of the pups, if anyone has any idea please let me know, I think for sure there may be two males, but the other one just looks a bit off, almost like a boy/girl or a swollen girl? or just a boy?

I have checked the photos on the cavyspirit site, but I still am confused about this one pup.

BabyPigsSQ.jpg

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
They should be removed from her after 3 weeks to a month I believe (someone verify that please) and all 3 look like boys to me

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The boys need to be removed at 21 days, no sooner, no later.

See www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm for help on determining whether they're boys or girls. It'll get easier as they get a little older, and should be very apparent by the time they're ready to be separated.

Here's some reading material for new guinea pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
2 and 3 definitely look like boys, I can't really tell for the first one. Males and females look very similar at this age but it will get more obvious once they're a couple of weeks old.

Girls can stay with mom indefinitely and will wean themselves when they're 4-6 weeks old. The boys will probably be very upset to be separated from her at 3 weeks, but they'll be fine especially since they'll have each other.

Michiibelle

Cavy Gazer
Little pup number one is a bit confusing, I guess I'll wait and check when she/he is a bit older. My daughter of course wants to name them, I'm more worried about separating. It's going to be sad to remove the boys, but I'm hoping to build a larger C&C cage so that they can be right near one another still.

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
Little pup number one is a bit confusing, I guess I'll wait and check when she/he is a bit older. My daughter of course wants to name them, I'm more worried about separating. It's going to be sad to remove the boys, but I'm hoping to build a larger C&C cage so that they can be right near one another still.

If one is female that's great she can stay with her mother at least and the 2 boys will have each other. Many exotic pet clinics will sex them for you with a walk in only. My clinic does at least, not sure about where you are though but it's worth a try if you're ever interested in knowing for sure. We don't charge for that either since it doesn't involve anything but a quick look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michiibelle

Cavy Gazer
I'll have to look into a small animal clinic and begin planning their new cages! I'm a bit excited, they are all so sweet I'm going to be torn up separating these guys from their Sunny momma! But they will hear one another I'm sure being in the same room just two different cages.
This one pup must still need more time to develop because now it looks more like a girl. So confusing! I've checked loads of photos online all day!

Attachments

image.jpg

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
Looks like a female to me ;)

Michiibelle

Cavy Gazer
Is it going to be hard to have them in the same room? I'm worried the boys will cry a lot. I'm going to be so sad!!! But I know that they have to be separated of course, no pregnancies are wanted!!!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
The first one looks like a female to me, the other two look like males. You don't have to worry about the boys missing their mom, they adjust very well, especially since they will have each other. Once you separate them, it is probable that the boys will try to get to the girls' cage, so I wouldn't put the cages right next to each other, if you have the space. Good luck with your pigs!

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
I don't think so, my female is next to the males and they "talk" to each other but do fine. The weaning process is much different from that of a dog or cat even.

PotterThePiggie

Cavy Slave
And none of them will be alone :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you put them with the cages next to each other, be sure to put a lid on the females' cage. The boys will be very interested when the females are in heat, and a determined boar can push up the lid on his own cage to escape. He can't, however, lift the lid to get into the girls' cage.

Michiibelle

Cavy Gazer
Thank you all for your words of advice! I can't wait to see them all grow. I'm already in love with each and every one of them. Sunny (momma pig) is such a great mom to these babies I can't get over it. I've seen them rubbing noses and they all love to pile under her and pop their heads out the front. They are just darling!
They sleep in a little lump under the front of Sunny and sometimes all have their little noses together in one spot and close their eyes.
I'll have to get some pictures of the cuteness.
I was a little nervous when we finally figured out Sunny was pregnant but this is turing into such a blessing to be able to watch them interact. I've watched what I think is Sunny teaching them how to eat veggies and they all crowd around her mouth and try to chew when I give her the veggies. It's SO cute their tiny nibbles! LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.