Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Adopting age difference

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
I have a girl cavvy who is easily 2 yrs old. I'm told she may be 5 or more though.

There's a possible cavvy up for adoption aND she's 8months old. Does this difference in age mean anything?

Also, the owner tells me that their cavvy is healthy. Can I take that at face value or do you think i should quarantine anyway?

pigtales

Cavy Slave
In my experience it has been better to pair pigs with a good bit of age difference because the older pig will typically become dominant and roles will fall into place naturally. Although sometimes a sassy young pig will throw a wrench in things and try to become dominant.
Where is the new pig coming from? Individual owner? Rescue? I think most reputable rescues take care of the quarantine, but if it is an unknown family or situation I would err on the side of caution.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Thx pigtales. That's a real eye opener for me.and yeh, I guess that makes to err on the side of caution . Thx for the help ^^

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.