Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Rescues in the Midwest?

Does anyone know of any small pet rescues that take surrenders in the Midwest? Specifically Kansas but I'm willing to drive to Oklahoma, Western Missouri, Texas (if it's near Dallas) or the Eastern side of Colorado. Perhaps farther if need be.
    I'm hoping a rescue will take one of my guinea pigs (the instigator) and help me reintroduce my other two.... if those 2 can't get along after a proper introduction that the experts at the rescue helped with, I guess I will have to give that one up also, although I really don't want to.
    Then my other pig will either be solo (cruel, I know but what's even more cruel is him being beaten up and bloodied by his "cage mate") or hopefully the rescue has a laid back senior piggy. (But most rescues websites say they won't adopt once you've surrendered a pig). So I'm not sure what to do here.

Before anyone comments saying I'm awful, I've never even rehomed FISH. I'm only doing this because my guinea pigs aren't happy, the instigator made my other pig bleed, and the third pig is too afraid to come off his house to eat unless they're all separated.
    I love my guinea pigs but I really messed up by picking the guinea pigs I liked, not the guinea pigs that my other would like.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    55 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

Re: Rescues in the Midwest?

Hi,
    I live in kansas and I know that there are not any pig specific rescues in the state. Just wondering is there any way you can just have two separate cages?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by piggielover200 View Post
    Hi,
    I live in kansas and I know that there are not any pig specific rescues in the state. Just wondering is there any way you can just have two separate cages?
    No, I currently have a 2x5 and could add onto it to make it a 3x6 (MAYBE a 4x6) with lofts so I could either divide it for all 3 pigs or maybe they could get along. But I was told in my other post and by experts that this isn't an option and that 3 boars can never live together. I don't have room for a whole new cage, and I was told that I'd have to get a buddy for the instigator, which I don't feel comfortable doing. I also don't feel comfortable putting my 2 other boars back together because they've scuffled and I'm afraid of more blood-drawing fights.
    I'd recommend you look at my other thread, and if you have any solutions, let me know!

Basically-
    I had 3 boars in a 2x5 with plans to upgrade. They started getting very rough, screaming, pulling fur out. So I separated them all (huge mistake, I know now). Upon reintroductions, one of my males was seriously injured by the pig I'm trying to rehome. (Yes, there was a lot of blood).
    At this point I don't feel comfortable putting the instigator pig with any others, nor do I even feel comfortable putting the other 2 back together so they're all separated again.

I'm not sure if I should just give up on guinea pigs at this point or what. I can't take the constant fighting (and I mean screaming, jumping, mounting, tufts of fur being torn out, and scratches) on a daily basis. I can't even sleep anymore, and they're in a totally different room from me.
    My one older pig (year and a half) is perfect, and I wish I could just have him because my other pigs (6ish months) are constantly harassing and beating him up. But I know it's cruel to just keep one.
    So at this point I'm basically prepared to rehome all of them. They're in cramped living spaces from being separated. I feel that I made a huge mistake by 1) bringing any of them home, 2) not getting a larger cage, 3) getting the 3rd pig, 4) not getting an older, calm pig as a companion for my first one, and 5) not knowing what to do now to make them all happy. Everyone posts adorable pics of their happy piggies- why are mine so difficult compared to others? I read for months before bringing any of them home.

So now I have no idea what I'm going to do, and everything is a total mess for me and my pigs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

5. "Thank you, pigtales, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks