Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question Just Some Newbie Questions

i've a year old guinea pig named Ginta for about a month or so and i don't really know what to do.

he's a rescue from an abusive home so he's not very trusting. he's still really skittish, if i move he'll either rush back into his igloo if he's out or jump and stare at me if he's already in it. he hates floor time, the moment i put him on the ground he rushes back into his cage and hides. i see a lot of people saying the way to tame cavies is to hold them everyday, but is it okay to lift up his igloo to get him? i feel like if i do that too much he won't consider it safe anymore. whenever i hold him he starts teeth chattering almost immediately and he's even nipped me once! should i still try to hold him? he can hold quite a grudge..... longest time he's been icy towards me was a week. he has gotten to the point where i can hand feed him pet him while he's eating treats through and if i sit outside his cage and talk in a calming voice he'll come out to eat and drink. i just don't really know what to do, i'm good with the taking care of his basic needs but when it comes to bonding i have no clue whats going on

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

Re: Just Some Newbie Questions

It'll take him a long time to warm up to you. Do hold him every day, and feed him yummy treats (veggies, not store bought ones) while you do it.

He doesn't hold grudges. He's just a guinea pig, and all of them are very skittish. Everything eats them, and they eat only green things. Just be very patient and gentle, and he'll come around.

And since you're new to guinea pigs, here's some reading:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ur-guinea-pigs!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Hello! There are either two ways (in my opinion) to go about it. The first way, would be to take him out of the cage, hold him, play with him, all the time. Try getting a small playpen, sitting in it with him, and giving him a big plate of greens. Take him out for longer and longer as he gets more and more comfortable with it. The second way would be to build up trust slowly, and move to taking him out and spending time with him later. Spend a lot of time next to his cage, and talk. Give him treats from your hand, such as apples, (in moderation) carrots, and lettuce. Just a couple of questions though. Is your Piggie in a store bought cage, and is he alone? Those two things can factor a lot into how he'll tame. Also, make sure you're holding him right. Make sure his bum and his front are both supported. Also, when feeding him, try and do some of it from your hand. Break his greens up into small pieces, and hand feed it to him a little at a time. You could also try singing and reading to him so that he gets used to your voice. Make sure he associates you with good expiriences. If he chatters his teeth at you, it may be better to gain a little trust. Keep calm around him, he'll be stressed if you're stressed. I don't really have much else to say, other than good luck!! Happy taming!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Also, yes, you can pick up the igloo, but it's probably better not to.

User Tag List