Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Ear drops in fur

Chickentender

Cavy Gazer
Hi, my Guinea pigs name is Gerard and I had to start giving him ear drops for a head tilt. When I give him his ear drops usually my first attempt doesn't work and he shakes his head spreading the medicine in his fur around his ear. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the greasy medicine out of his fur. I wash him with baby shampoo but it's not good enough.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Baby shampoo is not good for guinea pigs. You can get Squeaky Clean critter shampoo, or a shampoo for kittens, at pet stores/Target/Walmart, etc.

That said, if it's really greasy, you may need to use a little bit of Dawn dish detergent. Use a small amount, and rinse him VERY VERY well if you do that.

But, ear drops won't really do anything for a head tilt. They're almost always caused by inner ear infections, not infections in the outer ear canal. You need to see a vet to get an antibiotic for him -- the earlier he gets treatment, the more likely he is to fully recover from the head tilt.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Make sure you get to an exotic vet, not a cat and dog vet.

Chickentender

Cavy Gazer
Make sure you get to an exotic vet, not a cat and dog vet.
I've already taken him to an exotic vet in order to get the medicine. I want to know how to get the stuff out of his fur.

Chickentender

Cavy Gazer
Thank you. I already took him to an exotic vet. I will buy better shampoo.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.