Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Congested Weird, almost rattly, noisy breathing?

sarahcaulfield

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone! Last December, I got my two guinea pig boys, Meeko and Teemo. They've been perfectly good with no health problems, and they're the lights of my life!

Tonight I came home and went to pick up my boys, and reached my hands in to pick them up, I noticed that Teemo was making kind of a weird, rattly noise and it sounded like it was either coming from his noise or his throat. I picked him up and put him on my lap, and he seems fine other than the weird noises and has seemed fine all day. He's been drinking, eating hay, eating lettuce, going around the cage, pooping, all the normal stuff. Since he's been on my lap, he's wandered around me and the chair, pooped on me, played with Meeko, bit me and my clothing (he's a naughty one!). His eyes look bright and he looks very alert and he's paying attention to everything.

He did one tiny sneeze (they do occasionally sneeze from time to time because of hay dust), and then I noticed a few minutes after, he coughed and that seemed to stop the noise for a bit, so I'm wondering if he might have a bit of hay or something stuck in his throat?! The cage was a bit dirty today so I don't know if he could've been bothered by dust or just got some hay or lettuce stuck?! Because every time he coughs or sniffles, it seems to settle it a bit?

I immediately thought of a URI and started crying (I'm a huge baby and a worrier), but my parents and my girlfriend both think that it's a piece of hay or something stuck in his throat and not a URI, because other than the weird noise, he's acting as he usually does and shows no other symptoms?! It's currently past midnight here so I can't call the vet for an opinion until the morning.

I cleaned the cage and put him and Meeko back in the cage, and they both popcorned around, and Teemo started eating hay, and he drank a fair bit of water (he doesn't normally drink TOO often) which makes me think that he might have a bit of hay or dust stuck in his throat and he's trying to clear it? He's behaving perfectly normal and as usual other than the noise.

Any advice on what to do would be most appreciated! I'm on the verge of a panic attack from worrying so much, and I don't know if I need to be worried or if it is just a bit of hay/dust caught in his nose or mouth. Help! ;~;

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If all you hear is the noise, and he doesn't have runny eyes/nose, and he's eating and acting ok, then I'd watch him carefully. It's possible he's got something stuck inside that's making the noise.

But if he stops running around, sits in a corner, isn't eating, or starts with a runny eyes or nose, then get him to an exotic vet.

sarahcaulfield

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much! He's been eating hay and drinking, and I haven't heard the noise in about 10 minutes probably. It's almost 1AM so both him and Meeko just sat down in their cage. I'm probably going to stay up all night and make sure he's okay, haha!

sarahcaulfield

Cavy Gazer
Another update, Teemo is back to making the strange noise again, but I had him in my arms and checked him out, his nose, eyes, and mouth are clear. I listened to his chest and the noise definitely seems to be coming from his nose. I gave both my piggies some fresh grain and some Oxbow strawberry treats and they both ate them. Teemo honestly doesn't seem at all bothered by the noise, but it's so stressful for me to hear it! It's currently 2:30 AM here, if he's not better by the time I wake up (if I get to sleep!), I'll for sure be calling the vet.

sarahcaulfield

Cavy Gazer
Just a quick update! Teemo seems perfect today! :) No noisy breathing at all, still behaving normally, and he's currently having a big munch on some lettuce! I guess it was just some hay or dust in his little nosie, and he must have done a big sneeze overnight which cleared it!

katkor03

Cavy Slave
My piggie has been on and off making the same noise. I took him to the exotic vet who said that it's their way of processing allergies or inhaling hay dust. So long as their gums are pink, and they don't look like what bpatters said, they're okay. It is really saddening to hear him like that :( But it comes and goes and he's still okay and not bothered by it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.