Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Martin little friends food?

SophieBaby

Cavy Slave
I went to the pet shop today and came across a pellet brand I've never seen/heard of before, it's called Martin Little Friends Adult Guinea Pig food, it's 20$CDN/11LB bag, which is more reasonably priced than Oxbow over here (25$/5LB).
I was wondering if anyone heard about these pellets and has ever used them? Are they any good, nutritional wise?

little-friends-bag-Timothy-Guinea-Pig.jpg

Now that I'm buying for two Guinea Pigs, 25$/5LB is starting to get pretty pricey in the long run. If they're no good to you guys' opinion, I won't even bother considering them.

Thanks!! :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Deleted. Duplicate post.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't feed them. The main ingredient is soy, not timothy hay, and they have calcium carbonate as a calcium source.

I see you're in Canada. Why are you paying that much for pellets? You can get Oxbow pellets -- 10 pounds for $21.99, or 25 pounds for $33.10, from Amazon?

SophieBaby

Cavy Slave
Because that's what they sell them for at the pet store :p I never really thought of Amazon, I'm sure the shipping is crazy expensive, though.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's nothing like you're paying now. You're paying $5 per pound. The Amazon pellet price is $2.19 or $1.32 a pound. No way would shipping bring the price up to $5 a pound.

SophieBaby

Cavy Slave
I know, it's ridiculously priced :( the cheapest I've found was 16.99$/5LB but it's in a shop way out of town. And I also don't own a visa, which is another reason I never really considered ordering the pellets through Amazon. I'll ask a friend to pay with their card and I'll pay them back, because now I'm feeling really ripped off :p next batch of food will be ordered off Amazon! It sucks small pet select doesn't ship to Canada and that KMs is so expensive to ship here, because I'd definitely would be ordering off one of them!
Thanks again! I'm glad I asked for some input before doing a silly mistake and basically feeding my boys crap.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can buy a Visa card and use it yourself. It doesn't have to be attached to your bank account.

The main thing to watch out for with them is that Visa/Mastercard/whoever will deduct a certain amount every month that you don't use it. So it's best not to put a lot of money on one unless you plan to use it regularly. If you just plan to use it occasionally, I'd just load it with enough to cover whatever I was buying plus the taxes and shipping.

Deacon Jones

Cavy Slave
I don't know about the price but I was looking far a good stuff.
Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.