Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Fungal or something else?

Fluffy has an area around this ear that I thought was fungal, so I've been putting miconazole 2% on it twice a day. It doesn't seem to be significantly better in the three days I've been treating it but it doesn't really seem worse either. The bald patch behind the ear seems larger, but maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me. It is probably worth mentioning that one of our other piggies had ringworm about two months ago that I successfully treated with the same cream. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160731_221408732.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	80128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160731_221528226.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	80129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160731_221814806.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	80130

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,225 Rec'd/5,755 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3796 Post(s)

Re: Fungal or something else?

Well, all pigs have a bald spot behind their ears -- bigger on some than on others, and bigger on one ear than on the other in some pigs.

If you think it's something other than the normal bald spot, I'd keep using your current ointment for a week. Fungus is slow to respond, and you don't want to stop too quick. But if after a week or 10 days it's no better, or if it gets worse in the mean time, then switch to a triple antibiotic cream. You can get them at any pharmacy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I didn't realize the patches could be different sizes but I suppose that makes sense. It's just hard to compare the two ears because her other has black skin and hair. She really dislikes the cream (to the point of trying to nip me) and I just assumed that after several days fungus would still be present but no longer painful. I'll keep on doing this and hopefully it will be cleared up soon. Thanks!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

From your picture it looks like the bald spot pigs have behind their ears. What makes you think it's fungal or abnormal?

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Comely Guineas View Post
    From your picture it looks like the bald spot pigs have behind their ears. What makes you think it's fungal or abnormal?
    It's hard to see in pics but there is definitely flaky skin in the bald spot, back of ear, and base of the inside of her ear. She's also scratching it more than normal and by my touch the ear itself feels "different" than usual. Leathery or stiff or something.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Well, my guinea pig has flaky dried bits of skin on the edges of his ears where if you rub it, the bits come off. Also like there is sebum or greasy feel to the underside of the ears. It's always been like this so for his case it's normal. But the thing that's concerning is that you say she scratches a lot more. So I would just do what bpatters said.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,549 Rec'd/1,274 Posts
    Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1148 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigtales View Post
    It's hard to see in pics but there is definitely flaky skin in the bald spot, back of ear, and base of the inside of her ear. She's also scratching it more than normal and by my touch the ear itself feels "different" than usual. Leathery or stiff or something.
    In looking at the pics, I don't think you are imagining things. I can see what you are describing and it doesn't look like a normal bald spot to me.

One of my boys has quite large bald spots and now it has me wondering if I should do a prophylactic treatment on him.

It sounds as though @bpatters has a pretty good treatment plan.

8. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

It is looking somewhat better today. Not as flaky, so hopefully it is healing and not some other issue.

User Tag List