Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Brown's gourmet tropical carnival???

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of Brown's gourmet tropical carnival rat food? That is what I am currently feeding my rat. I am going to switch it to Mazuri rat food. But I am just curios to find out if the one I am feeding now is any good.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Never heard of it, so I don't know. Maybe you should email and ask the RattieRat Rescue.

ThreeLittlePigs

Cavy Slave
I am guessing it is one of those seed/pellet type mixes? Lab blocks are the only diet out there that is nutritionally complete for rats. We feed our rats either Harlan lab block or Mazuri. The seed/pellet mixes aren't good for rats (and most other animals, really) because the animal just takes out what he/she likes more (sunflower seeds, for example) and leaves all the rest behind, thus never getting complete nutrition.

Obviously the blocks look bland and boring, but you should supplement with fruits and veggies to liven it up a bit :)

-Melina

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I bought him mazuri, and for the first few days he would not touch it but now he is eating it great. So I think i am just going to keep him on that.

ThreeLittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it took my rats three entire weeks before they accepted the lab blocks and eat it with enthusiasm :) Rats are very adaptable creatures and will get used to almost anything! But remember to supplement with fruits and veggies and other treats a few times a week once he is used to the lab blocks. :)

-Melina

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I am feeding him the mazuri food, and he seems to love it now! What do you think about the vita craft fruit and stick treats? Are they safe as a treat? here is a picture of them.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
The RattieRat website doesn't recommend foods in general with too much corn or seeds as it ruins the rats' appetite for healthy foods.

I have never been a fan of thoe treat sticks for any animal. Too much fat and sugar.

Here is the Rattie Rat web page on diet and treats https://ratguide.com/care/nutrition/diet.php

This is what they have to say about appropriate treats;

The healthiest treats are the fruit and veggies; however, I have listed here only a few of examples of treats that rats may enjoy in moderation. They are plain popped popcorn, Vitakraft yogurt drops, avocado, chicken or beef bones (cooked or boiled), Kaytee chew biscuits, fruit Nutra*Puffs, vegetable Nutra*Puffs, and Nylabones for chewing

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks voodoo, but won't chicken bones splinter like when dogs eat them?
Oh and thanks alot for the link!:)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's okay for rats because they chew their food more; dogs tend to gulp bigger pieces.

This is something I can't be certain of. You may want to email Rattie Rats to see if they can explain it.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks voodoo.

Southpaw

Cavy Slave
So I'm a bit late here, haha.

Yes Mazuri is good, my rat gets Mazuri and Suebees mix: (broken link removed)
And of course, plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, and a little bit of whatever it is I'm having for dinner. :silly:

As for the bones, no those won't splinter like they do with dogs. And yep, it has to do with the way the rats grind them. I give my rat chicken bones with a little bit of chicken still on it--they're omnivores so really appreciate that! :D

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks southpaw!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.