Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Opinions on baths?

MeggMegg

Cavy Slave
I've heard different opinions on how often guinea pigs should be bathed. Should they be bathed regularly or just when they're dirty? Does anyone have a good article or good advice on how exactly to bathe them? How often, what to use, where to bathe them, water temperature, and how to dry them?
One of my guinea pigs is fairly dirty so I'd like to bathe him, but I don't want to use the wrong shampoo or for him to get sick.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Get a shampoo made for exotic pets (Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo is one, there are others). bathe the pig in warm water, rinse well, and dry with a towel. It's no different than bathing any other small animal. You mainly don't want to get water in the faces, and especially in their noses or mouths.

Guinea pigs are clean animals, and many can go for months or years without a bath. Others get stinky pretty quickly. As long as you don't let them get chilled, don't use a soap that strips off all the natural oils from the coat, and make sure they're thoroughly dry, you can bathe as needed.

MeggMegg

Cavy Slave
Get a shampoo made for exotic pets (Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo is one, there are others). bathe the pig in warm water, rinse well, and dry with a towel. It's no different than bathing any other small animal. You mainly don't want to get water in the faces, and especially in their noses or mouths.

Guinea pigs are clean animals, and many can go for months or years without a bath. Others get stinky pretty quickly. As long as you don't let them get chilled, don't use a soap that strips off all the natural oils from the coat, and make sure they're thoroughly dry, you can bathe as needed.
Awesome, this is exactly what I needed to know!

Keiralh

Cavy Slave
When bathing my pigs I try and make sure the water is warm but not hot. Depending on how long your guinea pig's fur is will determine how often you have to give them a bath. It shouldn't be something you have a schedule for and only done as needed. One of my pigs has longer hair so they usually need a bath every 6 months give or take.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Mine got a buddy bath and that was it. The paws get washed some when I see poop on them but that is about it. I do not expect them to smell like anything but piggies. Mine smell more like the bedding and hay then anything else and that is fine to me as its not a stinky kind of smell. if you notice a poop dried on a toe just add enough warm water to cover the feet and let them soak a few minutes. That is much better over picking a hard dried poo off their toe.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Speaking of butt baths... I haven't been able to deal with Mooshy in some time in terms of baths with my situation. Today I used gorgeous guinea pregnant sow shampoo and tried to really wash off her mustard dark spots on her white bum. I mean dark mustard. It didn't work much. Is there anything that can remove such stain without harming? Unfortunately it shows and she still looks dirty.

Malynda Teeter

Cavy Slave
My males are all about 6 months old. Out of the 3, 2 of the boys have needed baths recently. I think it's from puberty. I cleaned the grease glands and lathered them up and dried them.
All better. I did have to trim some hair in the grease gland area due to some clumps, but nothing too dramatic.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.