Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Opinions on baths?

I've heard different opinions on how often guinea pigs should be bathed. Should they be bathed regularly or just when they're dirty? Does anyone have a good article or good advice on how exactly to bathe them? How often, what to use, where to bathe them, water temperature, and how to dry them?
    One of my guinea pigs is fairly dirty so I'd like to bathe him, but I don't want to use the wrong shampoo or for him to get sick.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,734 Rec'd/5,323 Posts
    Mentioned
    1930 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3389 Post(s)

Re: Opinions on baths?

Get a shampoo made for exotic pets (Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo is one, there are others). bathe the pig in warm water, rinse well, and dry with a towel. It's no different than bathing any other small animal. You mainly don't want to get water in the faces, and especially in their noses or mouths.

Guinea pigs are clean animals, and many can go for months or years without a bath. Others get stinky pretty quickly. As long as you don't let them get chilled, don't use a soap that strips off all the natural oils from the coat, and make sure they're thoroughly dry, you can bathe as needed.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Get a shampoo made for exotic pets (Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo is one, there are others). bathe the pig in warm water, rinse well, and dry with a towel. It's no different than bathing any other small animal. You mainly don't want to get water in the faces, and especially in their noses or mouths.

Guinea pigs are clean animals, and many can go for months or years without a bath. Others get stinky pretty quickly. As long as you don't let them get chilled, don't use a soap that strips off all the natural oils from the coat, and make sure they're thoroughly dry, you can bathe as needed.
    Awesome, this is exactly what I needed to know!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,396 Rec'd/1,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1029 Post(s)

FWIW.......I bathe my cavies early in the day so that they will be dry by bedtime. Winter or summer, I towel dry them and then dry them with a blow dryer. Set the dryer on warm/low and keep your hand between the dryer and piggy so that it doesn't get too hot. Be sure to dry their undersides as well. Both my cavies have medium-long hair and it takes forever to get them dry down to the skin.

6. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    857 Rec'd/690 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

I only bathe my pigs when they are dirty. I think the last time I gave them a bath was at least three years ago. If one was very soiled, I would, but I think it's unnecessary for regular maintenance.

8. "Thank you, ThePigAlchemist, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When bathing my pigs I try and make sure the water is warm but not hot. Depending on how long your guinea pig's fur is will determine how often you have to give them a bath. It shouldn't be something you have a schedule for and only done as needed. One of my pigs has longer hair so they usually need a bath every 6 months give or take.

10. "Thank you, Keiralh, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    520 Rec'd/458 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Mine got a buddy bath and that was it. The paws get washed some when I see poop on them but that is about it. I do not expect them to smell like anything but piggies. Mine smell more like the bedding and hay then anything else and that is fine to me as its not a stinky kind of smell. if you notice a poop dried on a toe just add enough warm water to cover the feet and let them soak a few minutes. That is much better over picking a hard dried poo off their toe.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,396 Rec'd/1,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1029 Post(s)

No one has yet mentioned what we call a "butt bath". If a cavy has loose stool, then it is likely to have dirty paws, belly, and genital area. In that case, that is all I bathe....put them into slightly warm water just up to the belly and a little shampoo to those areas with a good rinse afterward. If they have dried poop on their toes, use a very soft bristle toothbrush to get it off while they are soaking. I don't like to give them full baths during the cooler months and a butt bath usually seems to do the trick.

13. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    500 Rec'd/372 Posts
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)

Speaking of butt baths... I haven't been able to deal with Mooshy in some time in terms of baths with my situation. Today I used gorgeous guinea pregnant sow shampoo and tried to really wash off her mustard dark spots on her white bum. I mean dark mustard. It didn't work much. Is there anything that can remove such stain without harming? Unfortunately it shows and she still looks dirty.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

My males are all about 6 months old. Out of the 3, 2 of the boys have needed baths recently. I think it's from puberty. I cleaned the grease glands and lathered them up and dried them.
    All better. I did have to trim some hair in the grease gland area due to some clumps, but nothing too dramatic.

16. "Thank you, Malynda Teeter, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,396 Rec'd/1,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1029 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Is there anything that can remove such stain without harming?
    The only thing I've found that will remove stains on a white bum is the same thing environmentalists use on birds affected by an oil spill......Dawn Dishwashing Lquid. It stands to reason that I wouldn't consider using it over the entire body of a cavy. Keep in mind that dishwashing liquid produces a lot of soap, so only use a dab. You don't have to use Dawn, but do choose a mild product.

I would lather up Chester's bum and then set him on a towel for a few minutes, all the while watching him closely to see that he didn't ingest it. During that five minutes you can "comb" it through the fur with a soft bristle toothbrush. Thoroughly rinse and that's it. If this doesn't work, then consider cutting the hair off and starting over. I often use small clippers around the genital area for hygiene reasons.

18. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

User Tag List