0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question HELP!!! Flaky and scabby ear! :(

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3399.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	80114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3400.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	80115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3401.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	80116

So today, I went to go pick up my pig for some lap time and I saw how scabby his ear was. I then lifted it as shown in the pictures above and see that is it more than just scabby.
    I got him 2 weeks ago from Pet Supermarket and he seemed to be in perfect shape.
    He is acting normal. He jumps around when happy, purrs when pet, eats regularly and just normal...
    I don't know what is wrong with him. Can anybody help?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,283 Rec'd/5,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    2036 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3849 Post(s)

Re: HELP!!! Flaky and scabby ear! :(

See http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. Get one of the creams mentioned for fungus (available at any pharmacy), and apply sparingly twice a day with a q-tip. Fungus is mildly contagious to humans, so wash your hand carefully after handling him.

If it doesn't get better in a week, or gets worse, post back her and we'll try an antibacterial treatment. You always start with fungus treatment first, because an antifungal medicine can make a bacterial infection worse, but not the other way around.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: HELP!!! Flaky and scabby ear! :(

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    See http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. Get one of the creams mentioned for fungus (available at any pharmacy), and apply sparingly twice a day with a q-tip. Fungus is mildly contagious to humans, so wash your hand carefully after handling him.

If it doesn't get better in a week, or gets worse, post back her and we'll try an antibacterial treatment. You always start with fungus treatment first, because an antifungal medicine can make a bacterial infection worse, but not the other way around.
    Thanks for the reply. Are these the creams you're talking about? And do you have any recommendations as to which one is better?

• Miconazole cream (Monistat 7, Femizol-M – human OTC med), active ingredient: miconazole nitrate 2%
    • Clotrimazole (Gyne-Lotrimin, Mycelex, Lotrimin, Lotrisone), active ingredient clotrimazole 1%

User Tag List