Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Re: LSP's medical thread

WOW Critical Care makes a big difference vs pellet slurry. She still doesn't like having a syringe poked in her mouth (can't blame her), but I got it all down her without her struggling or squeaking in distress. I was beginning to feel like a monster before.

A general update: Her weight is fairly stable, but she's still not that interested in food or water. She'll take the odd thing. I picked up some local corn and she was enjoying the silk, and even ate a bit of husk, which I assume has decent fibre in it. Corn niblets are working wonderfully as little pill pockets. Her tummy was growing a little firmer last night, and was gurgling, but was softened again by morning. Her poop is looking a little more normal, and there's a bit more of it.

The main relief here is that her breathing seems to have eased up. I haven't heard her rasping or hooting over the last few days, even at night! If this means the Baytril is working, and her appetite returns after she's done (2.5 more days), then all this is well worth it. Luckily I have a job where I can work from home, so I've been on constant vigil.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Her poops have now swung in the opposite direction---before, they were infrequent, small, light coloured, and hard. Now, starting day 2 on Critical Care, they're dark, mushy, and kind of lumpy, some of them rather long. I'd been wondering if I was giving her enough water (she's not drinking from her bottle at all) because her urine is a bit dark, but with her poops mushier now I'm not sure. Is this due to the lack of long strand fibre? Should I be concerned? How much water should I be syringing her?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2023 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

If the poops are mushy, she's getting enough water.

Critical Care does change the way the poops look, but it's not a problem.

Offer a little water (or better, pedialyte) every time you give her CC, but don't worry about it in between feedings.

4. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Well, she's done the course of Baytril (finished last night), and her breathing is clear!! So much relief over that.

The next question is, how long does it normally take for a pig's appetite to come back once they're through with Baytril? It's at the point where she won't even eat a bit of carrot. She stopped accepting the pills in food over the last few days, so I was poking the pill halves into the top of a syringe filled with Critical Care (which worked!).

I've given her her morning feeding of CC, but at some point do I stop feeding her the full amount in order to get her to eat other things due to hunger, or will she start showing interest in other food even if I'm still filling her up with CC...?

My other question is, should I keep giving her probiotics once or twice a day now that the antibiotics are through, for another week perhaps? This is what I do myself when I have to go on antibiotics.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2023 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Two or three days, in my experience.

And yes, I'd continue the probiotics for several days after.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Now I'm really concerned. For the past few days on Critical Care she's had very soft poops, but now it's turned into full-on diarrhea. I just went to get her for her next feeding and it's like there's pudding in the cage, and quite a bit of it.

Do I keep feeding her Critical Care? Or something else??

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I'm feeding her again because I don't want her to go without food/liquid. She's eating the Critical Care eagerly, but is pooping quite a lot during the process. It's not watery; it's like thick, soft pudding. I mashed up one of BMO's poops into her CC; I don't know if that'll help.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

If you have a healthy piggy, make a poop slurry from her poops and feed it to LSP. Take about six poops (fresh is easier to work with) and mash them up with some water (or better still, Pedialyte) and syringe them to her. You want to reinoculate her g.i. tract with normal flora. Also, getting some fiber into her will help to restore normal action. I feed corn husks since they are in season and are good long-strand fiber.....and most cavies like them.

If she isn't eating on her own, then my thinking is that yes, you need to feed her Critical Care until such time as she is eating normally.

10. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

An update:

LSP is now breathing normally, and is stuffing her face like she's making up for lost time! Her appetite only really came back yesterday; it was very gradual. She didn't need any CC yesterday. The poop slurry made such a marked difference, and was a turning point, even though I'd been giving her acidopholus already.

She's now jumping around and cooing fairly loudly when I pet her---very unusual for her, and it makes me wonder how long she'd been feeling poorly. She did lose some weight but I expect it'll come back now that she's once again eating a lot.

I want to give a huge thank you to @bpatters and @spy9doc for all your feedback and prompt replies. Hearing her ragged little breathing, and then seeing her stop eating, was a scary experience for me, and I so appreciate the help!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160811_074620.jpg 
Views:	25