Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question Ive got a stinky pig!

I have two Guinea Pigs. I've noticed that newest pig, Cesar has a bit of a smell. I'd describe it as a horse smell? That of a barn?
    When I got him he smelled disgusting, so I gave him a bath, even after the bath he still had "the smell" lingering on him!! I use Gorgeous Guinea's Just for Boars shampoo and dawn on the grease gland.
    I gave him a second bath the day of introductions, a.k.a a buddy bath, attempting to get rid of the smell at the same time, no luck.
    I spot cleaned his cage during quarantine every day and changed it every 5-6 days. Now he's been in the new C&C along with my first pig, Frank, for two days and he still smells! I also spot clean the C&C every day, and it's only been two days since I changed the fleece and cleaned out the coro with vinegar.
    Does anyone know why I have a stinky piggy? I can't keep giving him baths, it's bad for his skin.
    Like its to the point that the smell of barn lingers in my room !!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Ive got a stinky pig!

I also forgot to mention, Frank (my first pig) doesn't smell what so ever!! He has that teddy bear smell <3

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,511 Rec'd/6,002 Posts

Maybe Cesar needs his anal sac cleaned out. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...n-the-Anal-Sac for how to do that.

It's also possible that Cesar is just in the throes of adolescence and is doing a lot of scent marking. Boar "stank" is pretty gross, and young boars can produce an awful lot of it.

I doubt seriously that it's anything on his fur or his skin that causes the odor.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Maybe Cesar needs his anal sac cleaned out. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...n-the-Anal-Sac for how to do that.

It's also possible that Cesar is just in the throes of adolescence and is doing a lot of scent marking. Boar "stank" is pretty gross, and young boars can produce an awful lot of it.

I doubt seriously that it's anything on his fur or his skin that causes the odor.
    I should've mentioned that I also cleaned his anal sack! :P

Cesar is 3 years old so I doubt he's going through puberty.
    Also, I've had to deal with Franks boar stank before and the boar stank is definitely worst than what Cesar smells like. It's just weird, he literally smells like a barn.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    869 Rec'd/749 Posts

How long have you had him? It could be a bacterial imbalance in his gut and/or his previous diet or change in diet. Are his poops normal?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I've had him for 2.5 weeks now, his poops were messed up when I got him but they've shaped up in the past week, they look way healthier. It's not his poop that stinks it's his actual fur!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I did change his diet though, he was eating vitakraft seed mix so I started introducing him to oxbow cavy cuisine.
    Veggie wise, I guess you could say he had a pretty big change, he went from carrots and celery to leafy greens, herbs and bell peppers.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I gave him a bath less than 4 days ago, as I previously mentioned

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    869 Rec'd/749 Posts

That is baffling. Personally I'd check on guinealynx.com to see if anyone else has encountered anything similar. I'd also try benebac gel probiotics (just in case) and extra vitamin C since Ferb & Penny's exotics vet said not enough vitamin C can cause skin dandruff and other random health problems (not to mention scurvy).

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I've been looking around for exotic vets to get a wellness check up for both of the boys and to get a fecal swab for Cesar (the one experiencing the stank) hopefully they'll be able to give me some answers.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I've been looking around for exotic vets to get a wellness check up for both of the boys and to get a fecal swab for Cesar (the one experiencing the stank) hopefully they'll be able to give me some answers. I'll definitely look into the benebac though, thank you!

User Tag List