Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Chubby, pregnant, or bloated piggy?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Remember, the pups can't read, so they come when they get ready. Same as human babies. You can predict until the cows come home, or, until you come home and there are pups in the cage. If she's massively pregnant, she can probably go any time, or wait several days. There. is. no. way. to. know.

ghostieberry

Cavy Slave
Hi again, sorry, so my guinea pig finally had her babies this morning, but she didn't eat the afterbirths, so we threw them out after about 3 hours, was that okay? She's also still wobbly with walking, is that also normal?

We never saw the placenta either, but we did leave for a while after she gave birth, and we didn't watch the whole way through so she could've had it, but ate it. It also looks like there's something stuck up her behind, but I'm not really sure, as I haven't really tried to check, I didn't want to mess around with her too much. She's not dripping blood, but when she moves around there's small spots of blood on the blanket we have in there.
The babies also have some of their umbilical cords on them, that's okay right? Other than these things they seem fine, the babies are up and moving, and the mother is eating and drinking water.

I had another question though, it might be not answerable, and it's more just for my knowledge, but two of the babies have curly fur, the third has straight fur, can that happen if both parents are American or will the fur straighten out later once it's older.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You've never seen straight-haired parents with curly-haired kids? They'll always have curly fur.

I would keep a VERY close eye on her in case she needs emergency care. Some spotting is normal. But if she isn't walking normally within a few hours, or if you think what you're seeing is the placenta, then get her to a vet.

ghostieberry

Cavy Slave
She's started bleeding a lot more, sometimes it's like she's trying to push the thing out, but it won't come out. Is this something that can wait until tomorrow? My mom doesn't get off work until late, and I'm not able to drive. She's not squealing, and is eating still, but she hasn't pooed since earlier, and one of her back legs it's covered in blood, she's not really moving either with her back legs, only her front.

ghostieberry

Cavy Slave
I have a picture I can post, but it's kind of graphic.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Get her to a good vet, ASAP. Tonight, not tomorrow. This is an emergency.

Dancekavy05

Cavy Slave
My pigs like veggies that have a lot of flavor, like celery, green peppers, things like that. Keep trying with the veggies!:)

Dancekavy05

Cavy Slave
Oops, sorry, I posted that and realized how graze the situation was, I replied before I scrolled to the last page, so it sound like I'm some heartless person. Are your pigs okay?

ghostieberry

Cavy Slave
Yes, they are fine, they've even started eating some veggies, thank you though.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the update, I was wondering about the new mommy and babies. :)

Dancekavy05

Cavy Slave
That's good. How are the babies?

ghostieberry

Cavy Slave
Oh, they're doing great too. One is a runt so he's a lot smaller than the other two, but he's doing fine.

Dancekavy05

Cavy Slave
That's good, what was wrong with the momma?

ghostieberry

Cavy Slave
oh, it actually ended up being nothing. I was just worrying too much.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Glad everything turned out well. :)

Dancekavy05

Cavy Slave
That's good. I will probably be that paranoid too, if my pig is pregnant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.