Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Exclamation Litter Box/Kitchen

I have no idea what type of bedding to use for a litter box I currently use the Oxbow Eco-Straw litter for a small litter box. Is there anything cheaper? or better? With 3 sows I'm gonna go through it quiet a bit I would think. (we are getting a 4th sow here soon). Help?!

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts

Re: Litter Box/Kitchen

Wood pellets are fantastic and super cheap, typically $5-$8 for a 40lb bag that will last several weeks. They're probably the best bedding that exists as far as odor control and you can't beat the price. I actually use Small Pet Select paper bedding now for my pigs' kitchen, but that's only because my spoiled piggies don't like walking on the pellets. If you're already using pellet litter without any problems then you'll be fine.

3. "Thank you, pigger123, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

So just those big bags that you can get at lowes??? for like 6$

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

the ones at lowes are wood stove pellets which are good to use as long as there just wood with nothing added. you can also check feed stores as most will have pine pellets meant for horse stalls for the same price and weight and you dont have to worry about extras like accelerants being added

6. "Thank you, FoxOfShadows, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    524 Rec'd/459 Posts

I got mine from a feed store, just make sure they are kiln dried. I moved the whole cage to mini flakes and get a months worth of cleanings for the $6 and change bag. My cage is 2x7 so if you have a feed store see if they sell that and you can just dump it every day or every other day and it would still last forever.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I've been using Sophresh pellet litter. It's $14 at Petco for a 20 pound bag I believe. I change it out every 3 days and spot clean it twice a day.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

My problem with those is that its going to be about a 3x1 sized litter box for them im worried about the cost over time

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOfShadows View Post
    the ones at lowes are wood stove pellets which are good to use as long as there just wood with nothing added. you can also check feed stores as most will have pine pellets meant for horse stalls for the same price and weight and you dont have to worry about extras like accelerants being added
    Pine wood can kill a guinea pig. Please don't buy pine, use aspen instead.
    I use the aspen wood shavings from Pet Smart (I'm not proud of buying from them but it's the best option in my area) SoPhresh is good too.

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,511 Rec'd/6,002 Posts

Kiln dried pine pellets are ok if they don't smell strongly of pine. I use TerrAmigo brand, which are made of pine, and have very little to no odor to them.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts

I bought a bag of pellets from Tractor Supply weeks ago and I'm still "airing" them out I dunno, they still smell quite strong to me, I just don't trust them, so unfortunately I have still to experience the joys of wood pellet litter in the boys kitchen. They also have kind of a shiny finish to them, is this normal? I found another place that sells them that's even closer than tractor supply so I will go and check them out soon.

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,511 Rec'd/6,002 Posts

It will take weeks for them to air out. I always get someone to poke a hole in the bag before I buy it so I can see how strong the pine smell is. If it's strong, they just slap a piece of duct tape on the hole in the bag and I don't buy it.

New Jersey has horse racing, so there's bound to be feed stores that sell horse stall bedding. I'd check with them also.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts

Cheers bpatters . I'm gonna be checking out Monmouth Feed Supply soon. they sell a brand called Guardian Horse Pellets which are supposed to be good........stay tuned, .

In the meantime I will keep turning and checking the Tractor Supply pellets until I'm happy that the smell ( if it ever happens ) has subsided.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts

Thanks for researching that spy9doc . The New Egypt one is the closest to me but it's still 66 miles away. I'm going to try the Guardian pellets at Monmouth Feed Supply as it's much closer.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

I use pine pellets that I get at Tractor Supply. 40 lb bag for $5.50 I have a litter box in my boys cage and I spot clean it daily and change it about 2x a week. 1 bag lasts quite a while.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts

Hi prila13 I'm still airing out the tractor supply ones, they had a strong pine smell. Don't you use fleece over your pellets? I think that's what most people here do, they are supposed to last for weeks that way, you just have to change the fleece each week or so.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

When I had a litter box in my cage, I used to use "All Living Things small animal litter" it worked wonders, was made from 100% recycled paper, barely made any dust and didn't smell like anyhing. It was $10 CA for a pretty big bag, it lasted me about 6-8 litter box changes (and keep in consideration I was using a cat sized litter box).
    I'm not sure if they sell this brand in your region, but if you can get a hold of it for a reasonable price, I definitely recommend you give it a try. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

When I had a litter box in my cage, I used to use "All Living Things small animal litter" it worked wonders, was made from 100% recycled paper, barely made any dust and didn't smell like anyhing. It was $10 CA for a pretty big bag, it lasted me about 6-8 litter box changes (and keep in consideration I was using a cat sized litter box).
    I'm not sure if they sell this brand in your region, but if you can get a hold of it for a reasonable price, I definitely recommend you give it a try. I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Name:  all-living-things-premium-small-animal-litter.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  130.4 KB

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts

@SophieBaby, While that litter may be fine, it's also a lot more expensive than pine pellets. I don't think anyone can get anything cheaper that works as well as the 40lb bags of pine pellets at around $7 a bag.

21. "Thank you, lisa325, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List