Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Re: $500 for a neuter?

[Quote:.... spy9doc] I would swear that the last time I had a boar neutered, he (the same surgeon) removed the scrotum as well. Chester had no remaining sign of one after the surgery and looked like a girl with the exception of a penis. This time the boys just have one tiny incision mark on each side of the scrotum which probably results in less trauma and a shorter healing time.

I would think they would remove everything too, but as you say...... less trauma, shorter healing time..... must be the reasoning behind the vet leaving the empty scrotum in place. I'm glad they're recovering well, and hope they get back to normal very soon. :o)

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

The scrotum is not removed in normal castration. The only way the vet would remove it is if it were diseased (cancer, infection, etc.). Some just shrivel up faster than others, for lack of a better term.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,561 Rec'd/1,285 Posts
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigmommy89 View Post
    The scrotum is not removed in normal castration. The only way the vet would remove it is if it were diseased (cancer, infection, etc.). Some just shrivel up faster than others, for lack of a better term.
    That was exactly my thinking, but I thought I would toss it out for discussion. In retrospect, Chester was much younger than Chip & Sparky when he was neutered, and not nearly so well developed. I'm especially hoping that Sparky's atrophies so that it doesn't catch debris. I just noticed today that both were shaved in their pelvic area for the procedure.

We are now at the 72 hr. mark and both seem back to normal. Many thanks to Dr. Albin for his excellent technique!

Just one more thought for any of you looking for a Vet for a neuter procedure. I found Dr. Albin when I learned that he did all the cavy care for a near-by rescue.....gratis. I knew he was the guy for us because that was evidence of his humanitarian nature AND the fact that he had probably performed more cavy neuters than anyone else in the region.

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigmommy89 View Post
    Ahhh, I see, Thank you, "shrivel" is a great term, I get the picture now.

User Tag List