Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Hey everyone :)

Hey all,

So this will be my first post on the forum though I have spent many hours reading numerous threads on here recently, with that said I have a couple of confessions to make. But first, I'd like to introduce you to my sweet Luna, she is 10 months old and prior to me obtaining the knowledge that I have from you guys she was an outside only piggy in a cage my partner made. I thought it was a great cage but it isn't and it was such a poor choice for my beautiful Luna. It had a wired bottom, was far too small AND it was outside in all of the elements, not good. I have made so many mistakes but I am in the process of fixing all of that now.

Here is Luna:

Attachment 80020

Now some of you may notice something in this photo that will lead me to my biggest mistake yet...

I intentionally got Luna pregnant. Now, I know this forum is anti-breeding and pro-adoption and I 100% agree with that now. I bred her to my boar when I had no idea of the toll it takes on the mother and the babies, the risks involved or anything. I was clueless and I realise now that it was such a horrible thing to do to my little girl. I don't even know what I was thinking purposely breeding an animal without doing adequate research first, and for that I am seriously disappointed in myself. Please be kind to me regarding this. I didn't know the mistake I was making, I'd seen friends breed them successfully and I thought everything would be fine.

Luckily for Luna and myself, she gave birth to 2 healthy babies on the 19th of July.

Introducing Nova (cream) and Stella (patched):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13692265_10153849928552039_37365671_o.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	80021

Name:	13692387_10153849932042039_319817753_o.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	80022

Name:	13694246_10153849928927039_122240714_o.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	80023

Name:	13717877_10153849932612039_24700466_o.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	80025

Thank you everyone for all the advice and information I gathered from this forum during Luna's pregnancy!

I now have her and her babies inside. They are currently in a reasonably sized store bought cage but I am searching high and low for the supplies to build them the C&C cage that they deserve (I live in Australia).

I have always fed Luna good quality food and she has always had veggies in her diet, the same will go for the babies. I will be keeping both Stella and Nova as I know that in my area it is seen as being perfectly acceptable to just house a guinea pig outside through summer, winter whenever in a cage far too small.. I was a prime example of that.

I have learnt so much in the last month or two and I feel awful knowing the mistakes I have made and what I have put Luna through but I am changing it all now to give these wonderful piggies the very best life. The life that they deserve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13699424_10153847412542039_2013587065_o.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	80024  
    Last edited by TarynLSN; 07-21-16 at 12:42 am. Reason: Photo of Luna not displaying

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Hey everyone :)

I realise that the photo of Luna is not displaying correctly, I will try fix it up as soon as I can.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Everyone makes mistakes right. Don't be so hard on yourself. What's done is done and now you can just move forward and love on those adorable baby piggies!!! They are super cute! I hope you have good luck finding cage supplies soon! I've had so much fun building cages for mine and making liners and accessories. It's a great hobby! Have fun loving on those 3 sweeties!

4. "Thank you, baba8711, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/38 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

Someone once told me that mistakes aren't really mistakes unless you have all the information to make the fully informed decision. You made the best choices you could based on the information you had. Now that you have better information you are making better choices.

Welcome!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

6. "Thank you, PiggyGrandma15, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Hello and welcome

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Welcome to the forums your pigs are adorable! I'm glad you're taking on board all the information on this website, realizing the mistakes you made, and trying to fix them. Don't be too hard on yourself. A lot of us here, including myself, didn't know any better at the start either and made mistakes. There's no point in feeling guilty or bad about it now. Instead, look forward to fixing your mistakes and doing research, knowing it'll make your pigs happier and healthier.

Focus on how lucky your pigs are that you are making these changes for them. Most people would have still had their pigs in that condition and not have looked up the information as you did. It shows that you care about their well being and it shows you were willing to acknowledge your mistakes and fix them for your pigs sake. Some people come on here, get the better care information, and ignore it because of their own ego telling them their way is the right way but you swallowed any pride and even admitted to it in your post which was very brave, you clearly care a lot about your pigs so big kudos on working to make their lives better.

So really, you're doing a great thing. Like you, I made different mistakes at the start and thanks to this website I learned a huge lesson about animal care in general and now I always do research about any/all animals I care for. Focus on that positivity... you're doing the right thing now. If you need any help at all with anything, just ask and we're happy to help!

Oh and since you're still new and have baby pigs, here are some links to check out if you haven't yet:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners
    http://cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm
    http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-a...inea-pigs.html

User Tag List