Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Need Ideas For A Cage Stand!!

LizzysPiggies

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!!
I am planning on re-arranging my room soon, and would like to expand my cage. I want a 2x6 at least. (So 28"x84" absolute minimum) I don't think I can go any larger, I have lost my measurements and need to re-measure the wall I'm looking at... But I am unsure about what I would use as a stand. I have an 80 lb Lab that has a strong hunting instinct, so the cage needs to be up off the ground. Also, whatever I use, it must be sturdy. (Meaning that using grids to build the base won't work.) He occasionally will jump towards the cage and although he doesn't ever actually touch it, I do NOT allow it. In the rare occasion he makes an aggressive move, he is immediately kicked out of the room. I avoid the jumping by only allowing him to be sitting and looking at the pigs. Also, I'm hoping for the stand to be a little bit classier. So, not just a folding table against the wall type of thing. Either a desk or a nicer table or a storage unit of some sort. That brings me to my next requirement, storage. It either has to have storage capabilities, or room to put bins underneath. I currently have large Rubbermaid containers that I don't mind using, so I am willing to continue with that, but I've always liked the idea of drawers. (Not a real requirement.)

If there is something that is maybe 28"x42", I would be willing to try getting two and putting them next to each other, but I would prefer it to be a single unit.

Also, the wall is directly across from a large window. I know this isn't the best location, but when the blinds are drawn, which is always, (they're too difficult to open...) the room doesn't get that much light. The only problem is that above the window there is a half circle window. That would eventually shine right on the wall for a few hours in the evening. This is another problem I need to solve. I would really like the cage to go on this wall, so I need to figure out how to cover it up somehow. I'm looking for a way to reduce the full effect of the Sun but not block it out completely. Also, for something that may not be permanent so for future re-arrangements I could take it out or off or something like that...

I'm hoping that all the smarties on here could help me with this. Thanks so much for reading till the end!! And for any and all help!!

Sincerely,
Elizabeth, Starbucks, and Dunkin!!
[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji194] [emoji194] [emoji194]

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I know you say that you don't want to use grids, but ........ I really think they would be your best option. They would allow you to adapt the stand to your current (and changing) needs.

The reason you give for not wanting to use grids is the need for it to be super sturdy to accommodate your dog. If you build it properly, and use the connections in addition to a whole bunch of zip ties, it will in fact be sturdy. I have flipped my change up on end to rearrange the grids on the bottom more than once. To rearrange stuff (ie taking out the back grids in the 2 end sections to put them in as shelves instead) took forever to pry and cut the pieces out that I wanted to move. It is securely built. I also have a rambunctious child that is bouncing forever around, and have occasionally bumped / fallen into the cage with no damage (beyond a possible bruise) whatsoever.

I believe your only other option would be to purchase materials (such as wood) and custom make something for it. The drawback there would be a lack of changability in the future. Chances of you finding an existing piece that will match your space and needs are very slim.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lissie

Cavy Slave
You could use kitchen cabinets with plywood on top. They would look very good and lots of storage. This is my current cage. The cabinets came with the house. The one I have is 3' deep, but I'm sure you could get ones that fit your cage.

4da9d41f01b38b6e40a106bc2b741053.jpg

LizzysPiggies

Cavy Slave
I know you say that you don't want to use grids, but ........ I really think they would be your best option. They would allow you to adapt the stand to your current (and changing) needs.

The reason you give for not wanting to use grids is the need for it to be super sturdy to accommodate your dog. If you build it properly, and use the connections in addition to a whole bunch of zip ties, it will in fact be sturdy. I have flipped my change up on end to rearrange the grids on the bottom more than once. To rearrange stuff (ie taking out the back grids in the 2 end sections to put them in as shelves instead) took forever to pry and cut the pieces out that I wanted to move. It is securely built. I also have a rambunctious child that is bouncing forever around, and have occasionally bumped / fallen into the cage with no damage (beyond a possible bruise) whatsoever.

I believe your only other option would be to purchase materials (such as wood) and custom make something for it. The drawback there would be a lack of changability in the future. Chances of you finding an existing piece that will match your space and needs are very slim.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply! I will definitely keep that idea a possibility.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

LizzysPiggies

Cavy Slave
You could use kitchen cabinets with plywood on top. They would look very good and lots of storage. This is my current cage. The cabinets came with the house. The one I have is 3' deep, but I'm sure you could get ones that fit your cage.

I really like that idea! Is the plywood easy to manage? (As in assembling and cleaning)

lissie

Cavy Slave
My cage is lined with vinyl sheet over the top of the cabinet. You will not be able to clean the plywood if urine gets on it. It would still work if you use coroplast for the cage.

Plywood is not hard to assemble, but could be heavy. You just need to screw it to the base cabinet. If you can't cut it yourself, Lowe's or Home Depot can cut to the size you need.

Last edited:

LizzysPiggies

Cavy Slave
My cage is lined with vinyl sheet over the top of the cabinet. You will not be able to clean the plywood if urine gets on it. It would still work if you use coroplast for the cage.

Plywood is not hard to assemble, but could be heavy. You just need to screw it to the base cabinet. If you can't cut it yourself, Lowe's or Home Depot can cut to the size you need.
Ok got it. One last question, where did you get your litter tray??

lissie

Cavy Slave
It's a dog litter tray. It was much cheaper than this when I bought it.
So Phresh Large Dog Litter Pan, 20" L X 24" W X 5" H (broken link removed)

LizzysPiggies

Cavy Slave
It's a dog litter tray. It was much cheaper than this when I bought it.
So Phresh Large Dog Litter Pan, 20" L X 24" W X 5" H (broken link removed)
Thanks!!!

rotto77

Cavy Slave
You might try a door and a couple of sturdy filing cabinets. You should be able to find these cheep or free on craigslist.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

I love this! I could get two smaller for the ends and use the inside for the 50 box of hay!

LizzysPiggies

Cavy Slave
I love this! I could get two smaller for the ends and use the inside for the 50 box of hay!
Great idea!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.