Thread: New guinea pig, is this normal behavior?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New guinea pig, is this normal behavior?

Hello everyone! I have just recently obtained a guinea pig as a birthday present from one of my friends. From what I know, this guinea pig was bought from a small pet store that doesn't take great care of their animals. My friend had said the pig had been bullied by the other pigs in his cage and I can see that both of his ears have been bitten.

Anyways, I've had him for only a night and one full day so far and he seems to be warming up a little (eating his little heart out, exploring during floor time, making noises when he's hungry etc.) but he sometimes displays behaviors that concern me.

For starters, today I filled his water bottle full and found that he drained the whole thing by the end of the day. He also lets me pet him on top of his body but if I get anywhere close to him on the underside (even if it's just to pick up pieces of stray hay near him), he gives me a quick nip on the finger. My little piggie does, although, enjoy licking my hand when I pet him.
    He doesn't seem to make any noises other than the rare chortle and the whistle when he sees I'm handling food. I'm thinking some of his behaviors are due to the fact that he had to protect himself from the other guinea pigs that attacked him and eats/drinks like he's gonna get his food stolen away from him. I know I've only had him for a day but I really want to make sure he has the best care and that he learns to trust me one day.

Can anyone provide any reassurance? Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanks
    73 Rec'd/60 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Re: New guinea pig, is this normal behavior?

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Your pig's behavior sounds pretty normal overall to me; most pigs don't like to be picked up or have their underside or rear end touched as those are vulnerable areas on a guinea pig. The only thing you mentioned that sounds a little concerning is the that fact that he drained a full water bottle in a day. How large of a water bottle in ounces are you using?

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Are you sure your water bottle isn't leaking? Was the bedding underneath it wet? Unless it's a very small bottle, guinea pigs do not drink that much water.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

I had a smaller sized waterbottle for both my pigs and found that I'd have to refill the bottle multiple times a day. Is it hot there? I find that my larger and lazier pig loves to park himself in front of it and guzzle over a period of time if it's a hotter day.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSqueakers View Post
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! Your pig's behavior sounds pretty normal overall to me; most pigs don't like to be picked up or have their underside or rear end touched as those are vulnerable areas on a guinea pig. The only thing you mentioned that sounds a little concerning is the that fact that he drained a full water bottle in a day. How large of a water bottle in ounces are you using?
    I'm pretty sure it's a 16oz. bottle.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It also isn't very hot right now where I live.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,551 Rec'd/1,276 Posts
    Mentioned
    594 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1149 Post(s)

I had the same experience several years ago when I first acquired two cavies.

My husband had bought the two at a pet store as a present to me, and I immediately took them back to the store thinking that perhaps one of them had diabetes because he was constantly at the water bottle and, like yours, drained it in one day. The store frequently has a vet tech on duty who informed me that cavies rarely have diabetes, but agreed to keep the boys for a week to watch them. They saw nothing abnormal and I picked up the boys and brought them back home.

It had been a long time since I owned cavies and was not nearly as educated as I am today. In hindsight, I suspect that they were so excited that they no longer had to compete for food and water that they overloaded themselves.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

Check the rubber washer inside the bottle. If it's not seated just right, the water will drip out quickly.

User Tag List