Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

How did you pick their names?

I was just wondering how you picked your piggies names. I know that I polled family members on famous pig names for Porky and Babe. My husband picked Nutmeg after much deliberation between the two of us (Her original name was going to be something halloweeny or autumny because we found her in October) and then for about 5 minutes her name was Spice. Then Spice turned into a deliberation on different kinds of spices and she ended up Nutmeg. It was definitly a process! So I was just wondering how you came up with your piggies names.
    I already have a name picked out for my 4th and final piggie, but I can't say what it is, because it's VERY original, and I want to be the first one to have it .

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    510 Rec'd/65 Posts

Re: How did you pick their names?

Charlie-Parsley - Charlie because he looked so cheeky, Parsley because he loves parsley. And he looks like Parsley the Lion out of The Herbs (old TV show).

Tuppence-Poppy - My grandma chose the name Tuppence. I don't know why. She was just sat with Tuppy in her hands and said "Tuppence!". Poppy because she popcorned a lot.

Lottie-Primrose - Her rescue name was Lolly, which didn't suit her, so I changed it slightly to Lottie. Primrose goes along the the 'P' names and also goes along with the flower and herb theme.

Jasmine-Peaches - Her rescue name was Pistachio, which didn't really suit her. Her original name was going to be Florida-Peaches; Florida suited her, but her important nickname, Florrie, just wasn't right. Jasmine was picked to go along with the flower theme as I ran out of good flowers starting with 'P'. Peaches was a fruit so came close to flowers/herbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Cookies & Cream: I didn't want to use Oreo, it was to common
    Smores: He looked like a smores
    Nugget: He was golden like a gold nugget
    Hercules: Big and strong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/10 Posts

Nismo = name of a performance auto parts company, LOL. The husband and I are car fanatics, and I always thought Nismo would be a cute name for a pet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nismosmama
    Nismo = name of a performance auto parts company, LOL. The husband and I are car fanatics, and I always thought Nismo would be a cute name for a pet
    I was especially wondering about that! My husband drives a nissan 240sx (which used to be mine) and I was part of a nissan forum where Nismo parts were commonly used and reccommended and spoken about. As sson as I saw your name, I wondered, but figured "nah...couldn't be". LOL

Pricess of mango.......in plonker land! well, the uk as well. he he
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Max- my rabbits name, that died afew years ago, And I think Max suited it as well!

Lucky- because he was the first one I picked!

Cookie- he is orange and white so it looked like a cookie a little bit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    347 Rec'd/254 Posts

All of my pets have Arthurian names, or if they already recognized their names when I adopted them, they have Arthurian middle names.

I'll be needing 2 boys names in about a month, so if anyone has any favorite knights or Arthurian legend type names, please PM me. Arthur, Lancelot, Percival, and Galahad are out of the running.

Jasper Arthur = adopted beagle/basset 7 years old, we've had him for over 4
    Lancelot = runt of a friends litter of cats almost 13 years ago - orange tabby
    Guenevere = kitten found at Dad's work 7 years ago - part persian tuxedo
    Percival = my first cavy bought at a neighborhood pet store - 1.5 years old
    Caramel Galahad = cavy adopted from brother's gf when she went to college - almost 3 years old
    Last edited by Percy's Mom; 11-07-05 at 12:51 pm. Reason: adding names

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I have 2 cats and 2 guinea pigs right now.

The cats names are Emilio and Voltairine.

Emilio comes from Emilio (Emiliano) Zapata, an anarchist. Emilio is a Spanish name.
    Voltairine comes from Voltairine de Cleyre, another anarchist. We call her 'Volt' for short. Voltairine is a French name.

The guinea pigs are named Rouge and Rubia.

Rouge means 'red' in French. We call her that because she has a red stripe around her middle.
    Rubia roughly translates to 'light' or 'fair' in Spanish. She is a light beige colour, so this suits her.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Mine were already named by the rescue. They were both found at a horse racecourse and a famous racecourse in England is called Ascot so that's how he got the name. Furlong is a horsey type measurement (I think!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/10 Posts

Emiliano Zapata was influenced by anarchist ways, but he was a Mexican Hero who fought for the people above all else . Hehe, sorry had to throw that in there

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Maggie was already named when I got her. At first I really didn't care for her name, but she knew her name when being called, so I just kept it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/19 Posts

One is Happy who was named by my daughter. My husband named the other Gringo which is mexican slang for white boy. I find that very derogatory so the kids and I call him Ringo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I have goofy names for the piggers..

Pig-Pig: Her name was hutch, but I just started calling her Pig-pig and it stuck..
    Chub-Chub: my husband named her chub-chub after some cartoon about cute fuzzy little aliens that have buzz-saws for teeth, and if they get mad, watch out! And chub-chub is like that..

Skitzo: whos name was starsky, I renamed because he is a skitzoid, always running around the cage like a nut! and if the dogs sneeze or someone "passes gas" he flips out and shoots the aspen right out of the cage over a 6" coroplast border..Hes a nut I tell ya!..LOL..Although, I would do the same if someone passed gas too...
    Pyscho: his name truely fits him, he jumps straight up in the air and then popcorns all around the cage like a lil pyscho maniac...

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

nismosmama - labels are very limiting, in the sense that he had ideas that one can define as anarchist but he is known for so much more. Also, it is dependent on what definition of 'anarchism' a person chooses to use.

Any way one looks at it though, Emiliano Zapata was definately a hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/53 Posts

My first three girls were named Tilly, Milly and Filly. They all looked differently. We named one Snickers. She has white, tan and brown colorings. Angel got her name because she's blind and my daughter thought she looked like an angel. And Snowball is all white.

When we adopted Coco, she didn't have a name. She is two shades of brown and looks like coco powder you use for baking.

Callie came w/ her name and the kids & I liked it. So we kept hers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/19 Posts

Well, Emmet and Scooter were named by the rescue. We almost changed Emmet to Malfoy because of his slick look, but decided he was too sweet to be named for Draco Malfoy.

Scooby is another story. He was originally named Pebbles. We bought him at Petco and we were told he was a girl. I was not conviced and started to research and found the Cavy Spirit Website. Nope...not a girl...definately a boy. So going with the whole theme, we named him Rocky (instead of Pebbles).

However, this caused confusion with the dogs. Every time I said Rocky, they thought I was saying Walkies and would run around all excited and expect to be taken out for a walk. So, we had to make another name change.

One day, we had him out for floor time and my daughter was watchiing TV. Scooby Doo came on, and just as they showed Scooby running, with his legs going a mile a minute but not taking off right away, Rocky (soon to be Scooby) did the same thing. He little legs started to move but he went no where. We looked at each other and said...SCOOBY! It fits him perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/13 Posts

Mu: Mu means pork in Thai and they are pigs, pigs=pork.

Teefal-Ivan: Teefal because I saw that name on Treens website (he pig was named that) and I loved that name. Ivan because it is said he went through Hurricane Ivan

Mo-Hurrce: Mo because he looks like Mu. Hurrce because it is derived from Hurricane (in my world) and he also went through Hurricane Ivan.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Lola was named after that song by the Kinks. I love that song. We downloaded it shortly after we got her just so we could play it for her all the time. It has sort of evolved into my name here, Lola Malola.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Nibbles: already her name when we adopted her.
    Pippi: Her original name was Pooker...We kept the "P" but changed the name
    Gertrude: already her name when we adopted her
    Jack: Already his name when adopted
    Jagger, JayJay, and Jake: their dad's name was Jack so they start with a J
    Gretchen: Gertrude is her mom so her name starts with a G

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I got Malaika's name from a name website. She was originally named Gwyneth, but that didn't seem to suit her. She was a little angel from day one, so I searched for names with that meaning. Therefore, Malaika is African for "angel."

Jewel is my precious gem. I though she was so beautiful, how could I resist a name like that? My mom wanted me to name her Flurrie though! Like the McDonalds McFlurries.

So Kriket, tell us this very special name of yours!

User Tag List