Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Weird Looking "Hole" Right in front of Guinea Pig's Hind Legs

My guinea pig, Hatter, shares a Midwest cage with his best friend, Mally. They have been best friends from the start and Hatter is the best thing that has happened to Mally. Mally was very skittish when we got him and he doesn't come out of hiding very often. But when Hatter is with him, he follows him everywhere and will actually call for him if he gets too scared at which time Hatter will come running to the rescue. Here is a picture of the two nuggets. Hatter is on the left and Mally is on the right. This was the very first picture I got of the two of them. They are both males.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HatterandMallyIllustrated.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	79938
    Well, when I went to clean their cage, I always pick them up and cuddle with them one by one. Well, when I picked up Hatter, I noticed a hole on his abdomen right before his left hind leg. The hole is very deep; it goes all the way in. There is no bleeding. He was wrapped up in a white towel while I got dressed and there were only spots where he had laid down. Needless to say this was very upsetting and I brought him to see the vet. I haven't heard back from the vet yet, but someone was telling me that it could have been Mally attacking him. They are actually convinced it was Mally. My parents are not convinced because of Mally's disposition. My mother thinks it is an infection coming through the skin. She does not think Mally could bite that far into Hatter and Hatter allow it. Hatter also had a URI three weeks ago that he was treated for. Please let me know what you think this is. I didn't get a picture of the injury to Hatter but here is where it is located. It is the red circle on the internet guinea pig. It's almost that size when he stretches his legs out like the pig in this picture. He is eating normally. He did walk a little funny and did not want my parents to pick him up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deleteguineapig.jpg 
Views:	780 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	79939

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,195 Rec'd/5,730 Posts
    Mentioned
    2020 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3765 Post(s)

Re: Weird Looking "Hole" Right in front of Guinea Pig's Hind Legs

I can't really tell anything from that picture. Can you get a close-up?

It's an odd place for a bite, and with the tissue that soft in that area, you'd think there'd be two holes if were a bite, one from the bottom teeth, one from the top.

It's not likely to be an infection if you're not seeing/smelling pus, and if there's no yucky discharge, though.

Please let us know what the vet says.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Like I said, unfortunately, I did not get a picture. Being able to see inside your little buddy's body kind of freaks you out. The best I can do is describe it. It's about the size of the red circle in the picture and it's a clean cut all the way around. Like the edge of the cut looks like their lips or like the edge of a person's eyelid. The injury goes all the way through the skin and muscle. If his leg is stretched out, you can see right into his abdomen. It is all one hole. There are no other puncture wounds on him or Mally. And there is no blood in the cage. The only blood outside his body was when he sat on the white towel. Other than the hole, he is his normal self. He is eating and drinking normally. His behavior is the same although Mally was avoiding him, but talking to him across the cage.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,195 Rec'd/5,730 Posts
    Mentioned
    2020 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3765 Post(s)

Weird. Is there any place in the cage that he could have ripped it open?

User Tag List