Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Piggy passed away suddenly

My piggy Minion passed away sometime last night and we have no idea why.

We got him two years ago from a pet store that takes in a lot of surrenders and rescues and he was fully grown when we brought him home. They were unable to give us info on his age or background, but he's always been very active and was easy to handle. I keep wondering what happened to him and whether there was anything that could have been done to prevent it. He didn't have any injuries, as far as we could tell he just died with no real signs of anything amiss. He'd been eating and running around the previous day and the only sign I could see that something was wrong was that he didn't touch the pellets he got that evening.

He and our other boy were both fed on oxbow pellets as well as fresh timothy hay from a local farm. They were also getting alternating red and green leaf lettuce every day (with the occasional romaine added every couple of weeks). They also received green bell pepper and small chunks of carrot (or a single baby carrot each) on a frequent basis. We would also sometimes give them cilantro leaves, celery leaves, zucchini slices, cucumber slices or small bits of apple (very rarely, maybe once or twice a month) as treats. They had a C&C cage. I had recently switched to Care Fresh bedding while making replacement fleece bedding for the cage, but they seemed fine with it.

Minion had broken his top teeth about 5 months ago and had to have his veggies cut for easier consumption, but they grew back and he never seemed to have any problem with them. He did have a bad habit of gnawing at the bars on the cage which is how he broke his teeth to begin with, but I don't think that was the reason.

I just worry that we may run into similar problems with our other boy if there was some environmental factor to it.

I'm gonna miss my boy. He was such a character.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

Re: Piggy passed away suddenly

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a pig is always painful, but I think it's worse when it comes out of nowhere. I hope it was an invisible health problem and not an environmental factor.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,315 Rec'd/5,830 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

I'm sorry you lost him. It sounds like you were taking very good care of him. Sometimes a pig just passes away for an unknown reason. The only thing that might help determine the cause would be a necropsy. Those, however, are fairly expensive, and the body has to be refrigerated (not frozen) immediately after death.

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

I'm so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you did everything right and these things sadly happen sometimes

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

It's so hard to lose a beloved pet let alone to have it happen out of nowhere. So sorry. Doesn't sound to me like you were doing anything wrong. Unfortunately I guess that's the price we pay for letting these lovely little creatures into our hearts. Not a bad one to pay in the whole scheme of things, the joy they bring off sets the pain.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,592 Rec'd/1,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1172 Post(s)

Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge. Sparky & Chip send prayers & wheeks and say, "Godspeed, Minion"!

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

So sorry for your loss It's obvious you loved him very much.
    Run free little Minion

Thanks
    Thanks
    685 Rec'd/526 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

Rest In Peace, little Minion. It's apparent to me that you're well loved and looked after.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

I'm so sorry for your loss, I don't think its anything that can be predicted on a seemly healthy pig. Thank you for the wonderful forever home you gave him.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You sound like a very loving, responsible piggies lover. I'm rather new at this (we've had our piggies for only three months) but we are all absolutely in love with them! I just want to say that I am so, so very sorry for your loss.

User Tag List