Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Hedgehog C&C Cages

I have a female hedgie! She lives in a small bin cage and I want her to move into a bigger and better C&C! What size C&C should we get, 2x3 or 2x4. Which kind do you guys have? Also, for the bedding, do you guys prefer fleece to beddings like aspen shavings? Thanks!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    521 Rec'd/458 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Re: Hedgehog C&C Cages

My niece just got a pygmy hedgehog and said the c&c wasn't recommended because their nails could get caught on the grids. Since the hedge hogs can be potty trained I'd go with fleece as its so much cuter. Maybe you could build a closet shelf cage because the wire goes up and down, not side to side.

3. "Thank you, lunarminx, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Hedgehog C&C Cages

I had a 2x3 C&C cage for my hedgehog. It was a perfect size for him to have plenty of space to explore. I think it would be hard to keep a 2x4 warm enough, but that might not be a problem for you. C&C cages are great and perfectly safe for hedgies as long as you have the coroplast walls go up 10" high, and a lid on the cage. I used closet shelving for the lid and also used that to rest the CHE lamps on.

I used fleece bedding, which was very nice except it always started smelling after only a few days. I just had to wash it every 3-4 days. For a while he also had a litter box under his wheel, but he never got fully litter box trained so I gave up on that.

5. "Thank you, pigger123, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Has anyone had experiences with bedding other than fleece? Any thoughts on those?
    Last edited by G.Piggies; 07-11-16 at 06:54 pm. Reason: Forgot to quote someone, still not sure how to quote them so changed post

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarminx View Post
    My niece just got a pygmy hedgehog and said the c&c wasn't recommended because their nails could get caught on the grids. Since the hedge hogs can be potty trained I'd go with fleece as its so much cuter. Maybe you could build a closet shelf cage because the wire goes up and down, not side to side.

Thanks! I am not familiar with closet shelf caging. Would you be able to upload a picture? And is it hard to build? We were going to a C&C that has chloroplast pre cut and you simply connect the grids. Would we have to cut/build anything?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,035 Rec'd/5,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    1982 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3638 Post(s)

There are thousands of cage pictures in the Photo galleries (tab at the top of the page), including closet shelving cages.

Depending on the size of the cage you want, you may have to cut the shelving. But the shelves come in many lengths and widths, so you might be able to find what you want without cutting. But even if you do have to cut, the home improvement store will cut it for you.

And yes, you'll have to cut the coroplast.

9. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List