Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Would paired guinea pigs fight if put in new environment?

  1. #1
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 06, 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    9
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Would paired guinea pigs fight if put in new environment?

    Hello
    I am thinking of adopting two guinea pigs that are already bonded. My question is if they could turn on each other and fight over dominance or something if they were put into an entirely new environment and cage.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,809
    Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4105 Post(s)
    Thanks
    220
    Thanks
    7,544 Rec'd/6,027 Posts

    Re: Would paired guinea pigs fight if put in new environment?

    They can, but they won't necessarily do it. Any change in environment can set off a dominance squabble, but it doesn't always happen. I wouldn't let that keep me from adopting a pair that's lived together for a while, though.

  3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  4. #3
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 06, 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    9
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Would paired guinea pigs fight if put in new environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    They can, but they won't necessarily do it. Any change in environment can set off a dominance squabble, but it doesn't always happen. I wouldn't let that keep me from adopting a pair that's lived together for a while, though.

    Thanks.
    Does that mean I will be able to put them inside the same cage once I adopt them and not really worry about the fighting? Unlike having to keep unbonded piggies in separate cages for a week or two.

  5. #4
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,809
    Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4105 Post(s)
    Thanks
    220
    Thanks
    7,544 Rec'd/6,027 Posts

    Re: Would paired guinea pigs fight if put in new environment?

    You don't have to keep unbonded pigs in separate cages unless you think one or the other needs to be quarantined. Otherwise you can just introduce them and put them in a new cage.

    If they've been together all along, you should be able to bring them home and put them in the cage. There's need to separate pigs that have been living together.

    Space is a big factor in how well pigs get along with each other, bonded or not. How large is your cage? And are you looking to get males or females?

  6. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  7. #5
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 06, 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    9
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Would paired guinea pigs fight if put in new environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    You don't have to keep unbonded pigs in separate cages unless you think one or the other needs to be quarantined. Otherwise you can just introduce them and put them in a new cage.

    If they've been together all along, you should be able to bring them home and put them in the cage. There's need to separate pigs that have been living together.

    Space is a big factor in how well pigs get along with each other, bonded or not. How large is your cage? And are you looking to get males or females?

    The cage is 4ft by 4ft with a second level which is 2ft by 2ft. I still have not decided of which gender to get.

  8. #6
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,809
    Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4105 Post(s)
    Thanks
    220
    Thanks
    7,544 Rec'd/6,027 Posts

    Re: Would paired guinea pigs fight if put in new environment?

    That should be big enough for either, although they may squabble about the second level.

  9. #7
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 06, 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    9
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Would paired guinea pigs fight if put in new environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    That should be big enough for either, although they may squabble about the second level.
    Ok :-) Thanks for your advice.

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •