Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

New Jersey pet store animal bill

New Jersey just passed a bill that pet stores can only sell rescued animals. I think it's a good start, but as of right now it only covers cats and dogs and don't think it effects large chains like petco/smart. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,918 Rec'd/5,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    1953 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3550 Post(s)

Re: New Jersey pet store animal bill

Anything's a step forward. I just wish they'd apply it to all animals.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    859 Rec'd/692 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    393 Post(s)

I agree that it's a step forward, but in my experience there aren't a ton of stores that sell non-rescued dogs or cats anymore (I presume because of pressure from animal advocacy groups). I'm pretty sure that Petco and Petsmart only have rescued cats, and I've only ever seen dogs in there when a rescue is there to set up a booth. I still see a puppy or kitten store on occasion, but they're pretty rare. I really wish other animals were given the same weight that dogs and cats are.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Petco and PetSmart only have rescue cats and dogs. They provide the space for housing them, but all of the paperwork and the exchange of money goes through the rescue organization. It's profitable for them because they are building good will with the people who adopt, who will likely return for high margin food, supplies, and services like grooming, training, and boarding.

Petco has a line of stores called Unleashed that only handles surrendered animals and gets none from breeders. I think they're only in bigger cities, but I wish they'd change their whole business model to that format.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    859 Rec'd/692 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    393 Post(s)

I might have driven past an Unleashed before. I had no idea that that was what they were. That's really cool. I hope it catches on completely, although I doubt that's likely.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I was just using petco and petsmart as examples because I couldn't off the top of my head thing if any other chains everyone would know. There's actually ALOT of stores that still sell puppies and kittens in jersey. I lived there until December and there's very few places where there isn't one there

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    I might have driven past an Unleashed before. I had no idea that that was what they were. That's really cool. I hope it catches on completely, although I doubt that's likely.
    It might take a while, but it's a good business model. Selling live animals from breeders is not profitable, and as the company puts more and more emphasis on selling dog training classes (free money for the store) and $70 bags of dog food, they're giving us less and less labor hours to care for the animals in house.

The only business reason I can think of for keeping the small animal department at all is that it draws in customers with young children on weekend mornings as a "free zoo", and those families usually leave with something for their pets at home, even if it's just treats and toys.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

User Tag List