Thread: Cavie eating less, still active. Had one white mucus like discharge from vagina.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Cavie eating less, still active. Had one white mucus like discharge from vagina.

Hi everyone I have a 10 month old female guinea pig named Maggie. She is very active and eats alot. Her weight fluctuates in between 1 pound 10 ounces and 1 pound 11 ounces. She gets about 1/4 of a cup of pellets every day, 5 slices of cucumber (2 cm wide), 5 normal slices of carrot (medium carrot), about 4 leafs of lettuce, half a tomato (the medium ones that do not have green stem) and about 3-5 slices of red bell pepper. She has a water bottle which she barely used (vet said it's because she's getting all her water from the veggies). Unfortunately I am not able to feed her hay since I live in Guatemala and for some reason they don't not have quality hay in pet stores and I cannot find any other place that sells hay. *I had another piggie a few years ago, he never ate hay and lived for 5 years and never went ill*

She usually scratches and sneezes and that hasn't changed, I already checked for fleas or any other bug and she is free. I gave her a bath about a week ago, with warm water, special shampoo and I dried her with a towel and finished drying her with the hair blow dryer, then wrapped her on a fleece quilt for about one hour until she let me know she wanted to pee.

About a month and a half ago my grandma died. She was very close to Maggie for about a month (she was living in my house). My grandma used to hold her for about 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. The first week after she died she barely ate but she was pooping and peeing normally. After that initial week my cavy became her normal self again.

On Tuesday we noticed with my mom that she didn't ate very much, she left about half her veggies untouched, specially the lettuce wich she loves. Yesterday (Wednesday) she ate very little again, the only thing that she finished completely were her pellets. She is acting normally, still active, pooping and peeing normally and doesn't have any signs of sickness except that she is eating less (let's be clear that she is still eating but way less than usually).

Last night when I was about to put her back on her cage I noticed a white mucus like substance attached to her vag, it was more solid than soft, but still mucus like, the consistency something like chewed food (I attached the picture so you can see). My dad removed it carefully with a paper towel. Today when I woke up (5:00 am) I checked her and she didn't had anything. She doesn't have any contact with other piggies and had never showed this sign. I am wondering if this is a bad sign or if she is sick and I should really worry about it. The same thing goes for the fact that she is eating less but pooping and peeing normally and acting normal, should I worry about it? Could she be sick?

Thank you for your help everyone.

Sincerely, Luisa

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160706_220958.jpg 
Views:	1451 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	79872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160706_220958.jpg 
Views:	1451 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	79872

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3800 Post(s)

Re: Cavie eating less, still active. Had one white mucus like discharge from vagina.

It's a mucus plug, which blocks the entrance to the female reproductive tract when they're not in heat. When they come into heat, they lose the plug. You don't usually see them since they get lost in the cage bedding. Nothing to worry about.

But you should worry about the lack of hay. That's what keeps a guinea pig's teeth ground down and its gut moving normally. Lack of hay can lead to expensive dental bills getting the molars ground down, and that's if you can even find a rodent dentist to do it. I'd definitely look into getting hay from somewhere. If there's a horse farm anywhere, it should have hay suitable for guinea pigs. One possible substitute would be fresh grass if you can find enough of it -- no pesticide/herbicide sprays, no animals urinating/defecating on it. Another would be corn husks -- use the inner husks only, and discard the outer ones. Corn is usually grown with a lot of pesticides.

User Tag List