Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

A New Friend For Alex

I started my search today for a new friend for Alex. He's been so much less animated since Fuery died. It's been sad to watch.

So, I put in an application at the SPCA for this cutie. I'll know in 2 to 7 days whether I was accepted. I'm kind of glad that they go through this rigorous a process for the small animals. At the shelter I used to volunteer at, you could hand over 5 dollars and have a pig the same day, which always made me nervous.

Name:  speedy.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  21.8 KB

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,566 Rec'd/1,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

Re: A New Friend For Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    So, I put in an application at the SPCA for this cutie.
    Have you actually met and handled this boy? I have found through experience that I need to hold and interact with a cavy before I bring him home. I have found that some just resonate with me, and others don't. Did you take Alex with you? I know that it's recommended to do so, but somehow I just don't believe that you can tell how they will interact once they are home with you.

It was an interesting process when I was trying to find a girlfriend for Chester. I brought one little girl home to meet him, and he totally ignored her. No hostility, but absolutely zero interest in interacting. And, yet when I brought Maya home, it was literally love-at-first-sight.

BTW, this little guy is a cutie! How old is he? He looks a bit like a Teddy.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

I did go in and see him and I held him. He's super sweet. I guess the way they do their application process, you can't go in and take home the pet on the same day, which makes sense but isn't how other shelters I've been to worked. I wasn't able to bring Alex since the small animal room was too small to even have a sort-of introduction. I'll be taking that gamble on introductions later, although given Alex's laid-back demeanor I'm not expecting a problem.

This guy is three years old. A little bit older than I had originally intended, but he really stuck out to me. He is a Teddy. He's the first one that I've ever met in person, and the different hair texture is so cool. He seems to be pretty mellow, so I'm hoping that he and Alex mesh well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    692 Rec'd/598 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    369 Post(s)

He is a real cutie. Do you know anything about his history, such as why he ended up at the shelter? I hope everything goes through for the adoption, although I can't imagine why it wouldn't. This little guy is going to be so fortunate to spend the rest of his life with you. I hope that he and Alex become the very best of friends.

Please let us know when you hear from the SPCA. I'll keep good thoughts for you.

Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Thank you! His file said that he lived with his previous family for three years (I assume from a baby given the age they gave me) with several children, and that he was given up because they were moving. I guess that means he hasn't had a friend before. I'm hopeful that he appreciates the change.

I'll definitely be providing lots of pictures when he gets here. Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Thanks
    867 Rec'd/748 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

He's adorable! Please let us know what you name him and how intros go (I can't imagine you won't be approved to adopt him).

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

A New Friend For Alex

Oh my goodness, it's Speedy! I recognized him immediately from stalking the SPCA website. Haha, we must be practically neighbors. I adopted two guinea pigs and my rabbit from them. I can't say I'm too impressed with their vet as far as guinea pigs, they declared Pumpkin "not pregnant" (she had four babies a month later), and poor Nina was nothing but skin and bones and a tumor. Hopefully you'll have much better luck. My rabbit is great though! The three times I adopted from there, it only took a day or two before they called and said my application was approved.

Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigger123 View Post
    Oh my goodness, it's Speedy! I recognized him immediately from stalking the SPCA website. Haha, we must be practically neighbors. I adopted two guinea pigs and my rabbit from them. I can't say I'm too impressed with their vet as far as guinea pigs, they declared Pumpkin "not pregnant" (she had four babies a month later), and poor Nina was nothing but skin and bones and a tumor. Hopefully you'll have much better luck. My rabbit is great though! The three times I adopted from there, it only took a day or two before they called and said my application was approved.
    Dang, I guess we are! I had to do a little driving to get to that shelter but not too bad. He seems to be in good shape. Some dry skin, but I hear that's par for the course with Teddies. I was on the fence about whether to QT since Alex is acting so lonely, but maybe that's a data point in favor of doing it. We'll see.

I really hope they get back to me over the weekend. It's a holiday weekend so I'm not sure but it would be the perfect time to do intros.

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Oh my!! how cute is he , makes me just wanna rub my nose in him, . Fingers crossed all goes well with the adoption, and you will soon be snuggling that darling little ball of fluff.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,566 Rec'd/1,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

Some dry skin, but I hear that's par for the course with Teddies.
    I believe that you are correct. I have a friend who has a herd of Teddies and I believe she uses coconut oil on their skin. If you want, I could probably ask her about it?

Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

That would be great! I'm completely in the dark about special needs for Teddies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,566 Rec'd/1,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

That would be great! I'm completely in the dark about special needs for Teddies.
    I'll email her in the next day or so. If I should forget, you have my permission to nudge me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

I was approved! I'm bringing the little guy home on Thursday.

I'm still torn on whether to quarantine. Alex is very obviously lonely, so I'm thinking of accepting the risks and introducing right away as long as the new guy doesn't have anything visibly wrong with him. An additional complication is that I'll be going on a week-long vacation in about a month, and I would feel a lot better leaving a pair that has been together a month than one who has just been together for a week.

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

Congratulations! I know Alex will be so glad to have a new friend. Good luck with introductions. I absolutely hate introducing boars. They're so dramatic. Some sows are too, and some boars aren't. Hopefully the fact that they're older and not in the middle of puberty will make for an uneventful introduction.

Thanks
    Thanks
    692 Rec'd/598 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    369 Post(s)

Congratulations! He may not know it at this time, but this little guy is one lucky piggy. He's got a wonderful new home waiting for him. I hope that he and Alex become the best of friends.

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing pigtures If you have the money to cover the vet bill for two sick pigs I would just go ahead and introduce them seeing how lonely your pig is. Just be prepared for illnesses.

Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

He's home! I opted to introduce right away, and it was the easiest introduction ever. Some nose-offs, minimal rumblestrutting and attempted humping, and some nipping. But within 10 minutes, they were like this.

So they're in the cage now. I'm keeping a watchful eye but so far they're doing well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1467915900929.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	79873  

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

They are adorable together! I'm so glad the introduction went well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    512 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)

So cute! I'm very happy they are doing well, my intro last week also went shockingly smoothly. Hopefully they keep up the peace and become good buddies

Thanks
    Thanks
    692 Rec'd/598 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    369 Post(s)

What a handsome pair of boys! I love the look on Alex's face. He looks like he is smiling. So happy to hear that all went well during their introductions.

User Tag List