Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts

Hay Amounts on Floor

My piggies pull out & spread around the kitchen floor probably way more hay than they actually eat. I keep the mangers full. I think the hay on the floor could have some pee & poop on it & so not be healthy to eat--is this why they don't want to eat it? Or do they naturally love hay bedding? It makes a nice bedding over the wood pellets. They are now over 6 months old so I have reduced their food pellet amounts & they get the right veggies twice a day.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    106 Rec'd/87 Posts

Re: Hay Amounts on Floor

I put a nice, big hay pile in my girls' cage. Jezabelle loves to sleep in it.

3. "Thank you, C. Cole-Chakotay, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts

Not much hay gets into their main house area, but now I am giving them more & more hay because they turned 6 months old so their pellets are decreased & they want more hay. The hay they pull out of the mangers now is completely thickly covering the wood pellets in the kitchen. It keeps covering up all the poops & seems very clean. There is no bad smell (these wood pellets are amazing!), so I'm wondering how often I need to change it now. Maybe not so often as I have been. Any experiences or suggestions?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    524 Rec'd/459 Posts

The hay will start smelling as they pee on it. I have six pigs in one cage and the area I place the pile down in has to be scooped in two days. They do love to run through it, sleep in it and just lay in it. I also have a hay bin I keep full but I keep throwing small handful after the morning large one. I go through 40-50 lbs(depends who I buy from at the time every three months and they love 3rd cut Timothy. If you are buying it by the bags in the store it normally runs over $3.30 a lb for me. Buying online from Small Pet select or KMS hayloft brings at that large or quantity brings it down to about $1.40 a lb even with shipping cost with KMS.

6. "Thank you, lunarminx, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts

Here the best deal for 1st cut timothy at the pet store is over $4 per lb. Shipping costs to Hawaii are high. I had checked one of the two feed stores here (small island) & they didn't have timothy, but I'll check again & read again about what other kinds of hay are good for piggies. Is 3rd cut better? I won't be able to get large amounts though because of our very warm & humid climate--things spoil fast. With only two piggies, it will be fine.

8. "Thank you, Wandalea, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4106 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,545 Rec'd/6,028 Posts

I live in Houston, which is hotter than Hawaii most of the year, and about as humid. As long as you keep the hay from getting wet and let air circulate, it should keep just fine. I store mine in the garage.

10. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts

I do have a tiny room with air flow & a concrete floor that is next to the garage where I could store maybe a half-bale. I'll research hay types & check out the feed stores again. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts

Thank you, spy9doc! I am only a few miles from Princeville Ranch. I'll check out orchard grass instead of timothy hay. Now that my piggies are not getting unlimited pellets, they are using lots more hay, ha ha.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts

My guys are going to start getting their pellets rationed very soon, I'm not looking forward to the sad faces they're gonna pull when they see their greatly reduced portions. he he

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts

Dink & Doink do seem to ask for more pellets at times, but they are eating more hay so I know they are not hungry. Chubby little guys too!

User Tag List