Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello all...

Deacon Jones

Cavy Slave
I am Deacon and I am new to this forum. I want to adopt a guinea pigs. Please suggest me what should I keep in mind before adopting them.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hi Deacon, welcome to the forum! It's great that you are looking to adopt piggies rather than shop, and also doing your research first! They are herd animals so you need to adopt 2 of the same gender or a neutered male and/or spayed female pair. They need space to run for their exercise (they aren't climbers or jumpers), exercise wheels and balls and leashes are bad for their backs. See the Guinea pig cages main page for recommended cage size. Their main food is hay, they also need Guinea pig pellets and fresh veggies daily. If they get sick they need to see an exotics vet, cat and dog (or small pet) vets generally aren't trained/experienced enough to treat them properly. There is a lot of information on this site about cages, bedding, diet, behavior, etc. if you read the stickies at the top of the discussions. If you let us know the nearest large city to you we can help with finding a Guinea pig rescue or shelter near you, or you can look on Petfinder for someone looking to rehome theirs. Good luck!

Deacon Jones

Cavy Slave
Hi Deacon, welcome to the forum! It's great that you are looking to adopt piggies rather than shop, and also doing your research first! They are herd animals so you need to adopt 2 of the same gender or a neutered male and/or spayed female pair. They need space to run for their exercise (they aren't climbers or jumpers), exercise wheels and balls and leashes are bad for their backs. See the Guinea pig cages main page for recommended cage size. Their main food is hay, they also need Guinea pig pellets and fresh veggies daily. If they get sick they need to see an exotics vet, cat and dog (or small pet) vets generally aren't trained/experienced enough to treat them properly. There is a lot of information on this site about cages, bedding, diet, behavior, etc. if you read the stickies at the top of the discussions. If you let us know the nearest large city to you we can help with finding a Guinea pig rescue or shelter near you, or you can look on Petfinder for someone looking to rehome theirs. Good luck!

Hey..Thanks Rrwen for this nice advice. I'll definately take all the tips.

rotto77

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Fay

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! :eek: Before you do anything make sure to read through all the links in this post thoroughly and prepare accordingly, so big enough cage, right pellets and food, etc.:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Then when you're ready, check local rescues and online ads for pigs you could adopt. We recommend you adopt rather than buy from a pet store, read 'The Kitchen' section of the forums for examples of why we'd recommend adoption over buying.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Hello and Welcome!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.