Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Baffled by Dr. K's Exotic Vet

I'm watching Dr. K's exotic vet on Nat Geo Wild. I'm completely baffled, a female Guinea pig has a huge ovarian cyst and small bladder stones. They drained the cyst, said she can pass the stones on her own b/ c they are so small, and prescribed antibiotics and pain meds for the UTI/stones. But they haven't once mentioned spaying the piggie. They vet (Dr. T) told the owners they would have to bring her back periodically to have the cyst drained. Why not spay her? I suppose they could have discussed spaying off camera and the owners outright refused? I'm just baffled?

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)

Re: Baffled by Dr. K's Exotic Vet

I saw that too and was wondering the same thing. But they do edit a lot for television, so maybe they left the part out where they explained all the treatment options. On another episode, Dr. K was treating one with recurring bladder stones, and she said she had never seen a low calcium diet make any difference in whether a pig had stones or not. She seemed to believe it's entirely genetic. I guess each vet has different experiences and different professional opinions.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

My vet, who removed Fuery's bladder stones, also says that he has never seen stones to be affected by diet and that they're primarily genetic. He did a great job with Fuery's surgery so I do think he knows what he's doing, but I suppose it's a matter of personal experiences.

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

I saw that episode where Dr. K said bladder stones aren't affected by diet. I'm going to ask the vet at Stahl Exotics his opinion when Ferb & Penny go back later this week, I'm curious to know their opinion. I heard that Dr. Stahl was asked first to do the exotic vet show for Nat Geo Wild but declined. They are the best exotics practice in the DC area. They certainly got to the bottom of Ferb's and Penny's health problems after 2 other exotics vets failed. Someday when I have time I'll start medical threads since Ferb's symptoms were atypical for what he has (well, hopefully not now after 2 rounds of antibiotics, we'll find out on Friday).

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

It doesn't make a lot of sense that they would edit out the discussion of treatment options. Isn't the show supposed to be kind of educational?

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

@pigger123 exactly, I agree, they spend plenty of time explaining illnesses and procedures so it makes no sense.

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)

Different vets also have different preferences as far as how to treat particular illnesses. Draining the cyst with a needle is less invasive than surgery, and also cheaper. But it will have to be done repeatedly. If it were my pig, I'd want her spayed. If the ovaries are removed the cyst cannot fill back up because it's gone.

That said, the editing can be pretty bad. If you pay careful attention, you'll notice that sometimes they blatantly show things out of order. I can't think of a specific example right now, but I've been watching these vet shows before and knew they edited it all wrong.

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

So the word on bladder stones from Ferb & Penny's vet at Stahl Exotics is that it's both genetics and diet that can contribute towards stones, either or some of both is what he said.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

I would agree with that.

A pig that's genetically inclined to them is going to have them no matter what. A pig that's not so inclined may never have them no matter what the diet. All the other pigs fall into the great unknown in between.

User Tag List