Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Common Misconceptions about Guinea Pigs and their Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I am starting this thread to address some of the common misconceptions about Guinea Pigs and their care.

I often see on the site some very poor information. This is usually caused by someone new who simply doesn't know better yet or actually believed the rubbish advice that a pet store or breeder gave them.

If you have something meaningful to add, please do. I would prefer well written and easy to read responses. Keep it concise but do try to back up your reasons. You are welcome to add reliable links to other websites to back up your words.

If bad information is given here it will be edited out. If you wish to start a discussion about one of the posts please start a new thread. Replies or discussions that break out on this thread will either be split into their own thread or edited out.

Who knows, maybe this thread will be so well done, if it stays on track, that it will get to become a sticky.

The next post is a basic example of how I would like to see posts written.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs need Vitamin Drops in ther water.

FALSE

Vitamin/Multi-Vitamin/Mineral Drops drops in water are one of the worse and most useless things you can do for your GP. The only vitamin they may need from the drops is the Vit C. Vit C disintegrates in water and light within 15 minutes of putting it in. This effectively renders the drops useless nearly immediately after adding them.

What remains are the harmful minerals that GPs do not need. The minerals in the water can cause kidney and bladder stones and other health problems.

If there is sugar in the drops you are risking giving your GP diabetes.

Adding anything to the water can cause your GP to reject plain water in the future or cause them to not drink enough if they don’t like the vitamin taste.

In short NEVER add anything to your GP's water. They will get all the Vit C they need from a high quality pellet with a stabilized Vit C like Oxbow and fresh veggies.

Last edited:

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs don't need vegetables

FALSE

Guinea pigs must have at least one cup of fresh vegetables each day each. Good veggies to offer daily include:

Lettuces - all types but iceberg (contains mostly water and very little nutritional value), Good lettuces are Romaine, Green/Red leaf, butterhead/boston, curly or belgian endive, raddichio and others.
Cilantro (coriander)
Peppers - all colours, no seeds
Baby carrots - one small/medium per pig or same equivalent of regular carrot.
Chard, Red or Swiss is most commonly preferred
Zucchini (Courgette)
Corn husks and silks
Cherry/grape tomatoes (no more than 1-2 per pig)

Good every other day foods:

Parsley
Celery - chopped up small plus leaves
Cucumber
Broccoli leaves
Dandelion greens
Green beans
Summer and Winter squash (all varieties)
Chicory Greens

Some fresh foods should be limited to twice per week:

Fruits - apple, plum, apricot, melon, cucumber, peach, grapes and a few others.
Cabbage
Broccoli
Herbs such as Dill, Chives, Basil, Mint, Thyme
Collard Greens/Turnip Greens/Mustard Greens
Kale
Spinach (in small amounts)
Asparagus
Beets
Brussel Sprouts
Cauliflower
Sweetcorn on the cob
Pumpkin
Turnips

Other foods, such as radishes, banana, sweet potato and beet greens should only be given as occasional treats, say once or twice a month.

Vegetables are important to provide essential vitamins, and if provided with a good variety of fresh foods daily, there is rarely a reason for supplements of any kind to be given.

Last edited by a moderator:

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Neutering a boar will alter his behaviour

FALSE

The only things that neutering a male will do are preventing him from impregnating females and slightly lessening the risk of impaction.

They are not the same as dogs, cats and several other species, neutering has little effect on the behaviour of a male. If two males fight, they will still fight post-neuter.

See https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm for more information.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Cavies only need a handful of hay daily or no hay

FALSE

Cavies of all ages need green, good smelling, free from mold unlimited grass hay in their diet daily. Hay is essential for wearing down their molars and aiding in digestion. Cavies under the age of 6 months and pregnant or nursing sows can benefit from alfalfa hay in addition to the grass hay. Alfalfa is high in calcium. Alfalfa is fine as a once in a while treat for older cavies that do not have problems with stones or sludge.

Cavies need salt licks or mineral wheels

FALSE

Cavies get enough salt through their pellets and do not require additional salt. They also get enough minerals through the pellets and their vegetables.

Cavies need Exercise Wheels or Balls

FALSE

A cavy could easily break their back in a wheel or ball. Their spines are not designed to bend that way. The best way you can provide exercise for your pigs is to make them playgrounds consisting of tunnels, boxes or build a loft on your C&C or C&C alternative cage.

Last edited:

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Cavies have enough room in store bought cages, or can live in tupperware bins.

FALSE

Cavies need room to run and play. So they can popcorn and be happy.
Cavy Cages www.guineapigcages.com has the best information about size of cages and making a Guinea Pig happy.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I got my guinea pig a friend and he/she doesn't like me any more.

FALSE

Guinea pigs NEED companionship. If you have one cavy and get a second, of course their behaviour will change. It doesn't mean they don't like their human any more. They will act differently because, previously, they will have been on their own for around 20 or more hours per day. It would be a bit of a shock to a human who had been in solitary confinement, too.

Cavies are social animals and, like humans, crave same-species companionship. With a pair or group of guinea pigs you will get to experience them playing, communicating and interacting, which is far more rewarding than having them sit on their own in their cage all day long.

You can't house two male guinea pigs together.

FALSE

Males can be introduced to males very successfully. Often two adult males can be paired without problem, but there are less dominance issues when a younger or more submissive male is introduced to an existing male. Fighting generally only occurs when two overly dominant adult males are paired, or where two neutered males are paired with female(s).

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig runs when I try to pick him/her up - he/she doesn't like me!

FALSE

Guinea pigs are, by nature, prey animals. Their instinct tells them if something large looms over them, they need to run for safety! Some pigs will learn not to do this if you approach them slowly, but some pigs will always run. Once you pick them up safely, they will really enjoy lap and play time with you.

Be sure to pick your guinea pig up carefully, supporting all four feet as soon as possible and bringing him to your body right away. No pig likes dangling in the air!

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs are able to contract wet tail

FALSE

Wet tail is a stress induced ailment in hamsters. Many people confuse it with diarrhea in other rodents, but it is entirely restricted to hamsters. Please note, while guinea pigs cannot get wet tail, they can still get diarrhea, which can be fatal.

For more info on wet tail, visit: (broken link removed)
For more info on diarrhea in guinea pigs, visit: https://guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

JennG

Cavy Slave
My sow is pregnant and should be housed alone.

FALSE

Separating the pregnant sow from the rest of the group may bring on unnecessary stress for the pregnant sow. Most cagemates may help out with the pups after birth and act like aunties or they will ignore them.

If there is a boar in the cage with the sow, he should be taken out to avoid back breeding. Remember that a sow can become pregnant again right after giving birth and should have no contact with the boar. Also male pups should be weaned from their mothers at 21 days to avoid the male impregnanting the mother and any sisters there may be.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Rabbits and cavies make good companions

FALSE

Rabbits and guinea pigs must never be mixed. A single kick from a rabbit, whether accidental or not, can seriously injure or even kill a cavy. Even a dwarf rabbit can cause serious harm to a guinea pig.

Rabbits and cavies also have different nutritional requirements. Guineas cannot manufacture their own Vitamin C and need plain pellets containing this vitamin as well as regular fresh veggies. Rabbits do not need the extra vitamins in their dry food as they can create their own Vitmain C.
By feeding just rabbit pellets, the cavy misses out on essential nutrients. By only feeding pellets designed for cavies, the rabbit misses out on the nutrients required to maintain their health. It is virtually impossible to keep rabbits and cavies together because of this reason alone.

Rabbits also carry certain organisms which can be passed onto the guinea pig, potentially causing life-threatening symptoms. While the organisms may not be so harmful to the rabbit, it can prove fatal to a different species of animal.

For more detailed information on reasons not to mix rabbits and cavies, visit https://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm

iLoveDusty

Cavy Slave
It is best to get a guinea pig from a pet store

FALSE

You should NOT get your guinea pig from a pet store. Most of hte guinea pigs in the pet stores have some type of disease or problem. Buying from pet stores also encourages breeding, just to get money. Guinea pigs in pet stores are not treated well, with four or three guinea pigs to an aquaruim size cage.

It is best to get your guinea pig from a shelter or rescue.

C&K

Cavy Slave
There are no homeless Guinea Pigs where I live

FALSE

Just because the local shelters are not overflowing with guinea pigs does not mean that you cannot find one or more needing a loving home in your area.

Many shelters do not house guinea pigs, and if they get them in, put them to sleep almost right away, or turn them away at the door. If you are looking for guinea pigs, start at your local shelter or Petfinder.com If you cannot find one available, contact the nearest rescue to you; some are willing to drive a distance to place a Guinea Pig in the right home. Other places to check are newspapers, pet supply store posting boards, Freecycle listings, Craigslist, and of course, the adoptables section on both Cavy Cages and Guinea Lynx!

With a little waiting you will have more Possible Guineas to take in then you know what to do with!

The sad fact is, Guinea Pig overpopulation is often not a behind the scenes problem.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Any Store bought Pellet is ok

FALSE

Most pellets available in stores contain ingredients that are not suitable for consumption by your pet cavies.

Any pellet that contains dried fruits, vegetables, nuts or seeds is not a quality food. The extra pieces are either too high in fat and / or sugars, and present a choking hazard.

As for the plain pellets, for an adult cavy (over 6 months) you want to find a pellet that is made with Timothy Hay as the primary ingredient. Read the label, some pellets claim they are Timothy Based, however it is the 2ND, 3rd or even further down the list ingredient after Alfalfa, wheat, or corn.

A young cavy (under 6 months) and pregnant or nursing mothers should be fed an Alfalfa based pellet.

A pellet should also not contain animal products, such as meat, fat, whey, egg, animal digest, or bone meal. Guinea Pigs are strict herbivores.

The pellets should also be Ethoxyquin free, Ethoxyquin is a carcinogenic, cheep preservative.

While this is not the most comprehensive list available, it should be enough to get you started. More information in how to spot a quality pellet can be found at Guinea Lynx:
https://www.guinealynx.com/pellets.html

As a general rule, any pellet that can be purchased in a grocery store or Walmart / Discount department store is not a quality product. Many people do not understand why poor pellets are available, however it must be kept in mind that pet food is often a clever way to dispose of non human grade product, and waste products from food processing plants.

Any "Plain Pellet" is OK

FALSE

Just because the pellet you are feeding does not contain any fruits / nuts / seeds / or other coloured pieces, does not make it a quality pellet. See above.

Fujiko

Cavy Slave
Two same-sex guinea pigs mounting each other means they are homosexual (and/or being sexual to each other)

FALSE

Mounting, rumblestrutting, and any like behavior is normal when two or more guinea pigs are trying to determine dominance. It is not of a sexual nature. See https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#introductions for information about introducing guinea pigs to one another.

It should be noted that male guinea pigs (neutered or not) will still mount a female guinea pig to try to mate. If the male guinea pig has just been neutered, wait three to four weeks before introducing him to a female or else you risk the possibility of mating due to surviving sperm in his system; anytime after that should be safe for introductions. If you have an intact male AND female (i.e., neither are spayed or neutered), separate immediately and if possible, neuter the male. See https://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

CavyCrazyChris

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig bites me when I hold him/her - he/she must not like me anymore.

FALSE

If your guinea pig bites/nibbles on you, you may have trace sents of food on your hands/fingers and salts from sweat. Or simply that he/she no longer wishes to be held from a solid surface for long periods of time (be sure not to dangle their feet).
Try to wash your hands before you handle your cavies and put them on your lap or a solid surface as soon as possible if they still bite/nibble while being held.

Also, some guinea pigs (like mine) may nibble on you to indicate their need to use the bathroom inside of their cage, rather than go on their towel or blanket. Once they take care of business, they'll enjoy being held a lot more.

CavyCrazyChris

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can stay out in the sun for long periods of time as long as they have a hidey house to go into.

FALSE!!!

Guinea pigs can catch heat stroke a lot easier than most other animals. This can cause a series of problems, such as brain damage, heart failure, dehydration, and unavoidably - death.

It only takes ONE HOUR in direct sunlight to permanately damage and/or KILL a guinea pig.

I had to learn this the hard way with one of my guinea pigs, Skruf (shown left as my avatar picture). He died of dehydration, brain damage, and eventually heart failure after only being left outside in the sun for an hour. =(
Don't let this happen to you too!

Always provide plenty of shade and very little to no direct sunlight. And if at all possible, keep an eye on them while they're outside so that you can attend to anything that should bother them.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs make great "starter pets" for kids

FALSE

Guinea pigs (as well as other animals such as rabbits) require a substantial amount of time, attention, and money. When parents buy guinea pigs for their children they are often misinformed about the level of care these animals need to stay healthy and happy. Even a responsible, mature child will have a difficult time remembering and keeping up with the cleaning, feeding, and socialization of their pets.

Children will often become bored with the pet and no longer care for them properly, leading many parents to abandon the guinea pig at a shelter or rescue. Unfortunately, it is always the animal who suffers.

Though guinea pigs may be small and considered "cheap" pets, they deserve the same level of respect, care, and commitment as a dog or cat.

Guinea pigs can make excellent family pets, but an adult needs to be the primary caregiver. Children can help out in the care of the pet, but should be supervised, especially when handling the guinea pigs.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't need exercise or floor time

FALSE.

Just like you, your guinea pig needs exercise.
Guinea pigs can develop health problems and illnesses such as ulcerative pododermatis (bumblefoot), spurs, bladder, heart and respiratory problems and male guinea pigs (boars) can get impaction.

For more information, see
https://guinealynx.info/feet.html

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I don't need to quarantine my piggie, he/she seems to be in good health.

FALSE

Any new pig coming into your house needs quarantined. Most illnesses take 3 weeks to incubate and if you do not quarantine, you run a high risk of letting your current pigs catch an illness or mites. You definately need to quarantine if you "purchased" your new pig(s) from a petstore for 3 weeks. You definately need to quarantine your new pig(s) if they came from a shelter for 3 weeks and even if your pig comes from a reputable rescue, we highly advise doing at least a 1-2 week quarantine.

I can just put my new piggie in with my old piggie

FALSE

You must never just put a new pig into your existing pigs cage. You need to introduce on a neutral ground or in a thoroughly cleaned cage. The reason the cage needs thorougly cleaned is to eliminate all markings, scents, etc. of the pig(s) that live there to decrease the chances your pigs will fight. If you don't follow this procedure, your pigs will have a harder time establishing dominance and may not get along. You can use straight vinegar, a vinegar/water solution or a mild bleach/water solution to wipe down the coroplast, hidey houses, hay racks, toys, water bottles, food dishes, etc. and make sure you have changed the bedding.

Further info on introductions can be found at www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm.

Status
Not open for further replies.