Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Can I adopt this Piggy?

jessdb

Cavy Slave
This probably fits better under guinea pigs than cages.
One of my friends had two bonded boars and one of them recently passed. They were both neutered. I currently have two sows in a 2x6 jumbo cage. They are not spayed. I have been trying to help her find a new home for her boar (she can't get another one, it's something with her landlord) and we both want what's best for him. I'm not sure I would be able to take him in, both of my girls are pretty dominant as is, I alternatively have a 2x3.5 cage below my main cage, but I'm not sure that would solve the lonliness problem, which was the issue in the first place. What should we do? We just want what's best for him.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd try putting them together. He may not wind up being the dominant pig, but that's not a problem. But it would be good if you could enlarge your cage a bit if it seems like they don't have enough room to coexist together.

Here's the link for introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

jessdb

Cavy Slave
20160606_170957.jpg20160606_171008.jpg
Ahh a clean untouched piggy cage at last! This will be their set up for after intros, everything has been wiped down with vinegar or a vinegar solution including grids, and the fleece though its been used before has been cleaned twice in vinegar/detergent, and the toys and stuff that can be cleaned are in a vinegar bath right now about to dry out, unfortunately i dont have any hideys with two openings, i have a fleece forrest of my own creation though and hope that's an alright alternative until maybe day after introductions when i know it will be alright and can grab another pigloo (i currently have only two) the hay barn is in use, is that going to be okay for the cage after introductions? I just deep cleaned it out a day or two ago, but they need it for the night in their temp cage (2x3.5) same goes for both water bottles

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Good luck!!! I hope all 3 have a long and happy life together :)

jessdb

Cavy Slave
Well that kind of sucks. The owner took about 10 minutes of it, then when they started chattering and wheeking (they weren't even thouching eachother) she couldn't handle it, i understand not wanting to give up a piggy, but she doesn't feel she can handle another one because she doesn't have enough time to handle play or take care of them. I really hope she gets it worked out, especially when she just grabbed her pig said she couldn't do it and walked away, even after i spent 2 days prepping and bathed all 3 of the pigs on my own, and also was the only one really paying attention to everything. I just sort of feel betrayed to an extent because she led me to believe there was no other option (which there isnt really) and that she cant properly take care of him yet she is taking him back anyway. I just don't get it. Sorry if this sort of turned into a rant. But i just guess maybe i don't understand because i've never had to give up an animal. She doesnt even know or tried to figure out why the other one died. >.> I'm a little aggravated here, could someone please tell me or explain to me why she is doing this?

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
No one can explain that but her. Perhaps since the other recently passed she just wants to hang on to this one?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.