Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guinea Pig cage maintenance ;o

I use a huge outside blanket for Heechul's cage and I find that she likes to pee anywhere. I'm also concerned because she also pees where she sleeps (which I believe might be unsafe for her). She's 3 months right now, so I think it will be easy to break this habit of her's. Any suggestions on how I can get her to use the restroom in a different area? She also urinates in her hay box so I continuously change the hay. I just want to make sure her cage is the most sanitary. I actually changed her cage today to include a "sleeping bag" which she won't come out of .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_182014.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	79637  

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,315 Rec'd/5,830 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

Re: Guinea Pig cage maintenance ;o

You can't potty train a guinea pig. They pee and poop where they spend the most time, which is where they eat and sleep.

If you're lucky, you have a pig that will pick a place that it likes to do its business, and you can put something there to catch the output. Pigs generally like covered areas, or corners. If your pig is like this, you have to keep those areas cleaned frequently, because they will sleep there.

If you're not lucky, your pig will go everywhere, willy-nilly. The upside of this is that they don't usually sleep in piles of poop, so there's less chance or a urinary infection.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

I find mine will move their folded fleece blankets I lay down to bare the corner, they poop in the corner but seem to pee where they lay.

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's almost impossible to potty train guinea pigs. It's not unsafe for them to pee where they lay but she might get some pee stains on her belly. If she does you can just take a damp warm washcloth very gently wipe it away.

As for her urinating in her hay box you might want to put some newspaper under it and that will make it easier to clean or you could just get a hay bag.

User Tag List