Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet veggie size

gunkleneil

Cavy Slave
How big are you guys cutting up your veggies. Like a whole baby carrot is ok or should I cut into tiny bit size pieces? Peppers into 1/4 in strips or not? Don't want to have them choke. Or am I over thinking this and they can gnaw on big pieces no problem.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
My piggies have always taken little bites. I give them whole baby carrots and whole mini sweet peppers all the time. They gnaw through them no problem :)

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry. I give mine whole baby carrots, although I do cut up the other veggies but for different reasons. Mine love running off with their treasures, and if one pig steals the whole lettuce leaf or bell pepper, it's war. [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I cut mine just small enough so that every pig gets a couple of chances to get something. My own feeling is that the smaller you chop the veggies, the more likely the pigs are to choke on them. If the chunks are large, they bite off just what they can eat, and the only time they have to deal with a small chunk is when they're finishing up their meal.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry. I give mine whole baby carrots, although I do cut up the other veggies but for different reasons. Mine love running off with their treasures, and if one pig steals the whole lettuce leaf or bell pepper, it's war. [emoji13]

LOL
Mine are a little different. Olena will steal a whole one and Tyrion will look at me pleadingly. Because he doesn't have the guts to save his treat himself.

So i will say, normally they each get their own mini bell pepper xD and Tyr knows to eat faster than Olena does.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Honestly, it depends on my mood. Sometimes I chop peppers into thin thin strips, sometimes I shop the top off of 2 mini bells to ensure seeds are out and give as is. Sometimes I rough chop the lettuce, sometimes I give whole leaves.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Keiralh

Cavy Slave
I usually don't cut up baby carrots unless I want to give every single pig their own little sliver. For bell peppers it doesn't matter too much just make sure you remove the seeds and that there's at least one slice for each pig or they might have a disagreement over who gets to eat it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.