Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Two different ages

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
I have a 7 week old and a six month old. I've only been buying hay without alfalfa since I read after six months it's a no no. Now I'm reading under six months needs it. I'm getting ready to introduce them to the same cage. Do I really need two separate hays and how do I prevent one from eating the others hay if I do?

Also, I usually buy mini be peppers for me as they're cheaper and don't go bad as fast. They don't usually have many green ones though. Will that be a problem for my girls? Is there a different but c level in the green ones?
Trying to figure out an appropriate diet for a pup and six month old. It is NOT a mother daughter pair.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The younger one does NOT need alfalfa. What it needs is extra calcium since its bones are still growing. Alfalfa is a convenient way to give that if you've got young pigs, but it's certainly not the only way. Feed them both timothy hay and pellets, and just take the baby out of the cage for a couple of sprigs of parsley a day until it's six months old.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
That seems so much easier. I originally had vitamin c drops but they were yogurt based and I heard the yogurt was bad so I stopped. Should I give them back to baby? Or stick with parsley?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Yogurt drops and basically every other pet store treat just have junk in them. I would throw the yogurt drops away and just stick with parsley.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
OK. Parsley it is. I may grow it on the window sill to keel US in supply since I usually just have dried around.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
Definitely went with potted parsley. Three grocery stores later and no one had any in stock. Crazy Huh? Found some potted though at Walmart as well as mint (I think I read that was OK). She only took a few bites of the parsley though on day one. I've noticed though she doesn't really eat veggies. First time I saw her eat a bell pepper was during introductions with Scarlett. She's almost imitating her eating habits if that makes sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.