Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Second Guinea Pig

DDNero

Cavy Slave
So I just got my second guinea pig, his a boar as well as my first guinea pig, and right now I have them in different cages, but they are next to each other. I read that I should keep them apart for awhile for quarantine, but I am curious to know when is it to actually give it my first go at introducing them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you've got them next to each other, you've already broken quarantine. Ideally they should be kept in separate rooms, and you change your clothes before going to the second pig. Having them next to each other exposes them to airborne diseases.

So you might as well go ahead and introduce them and just hope to goodness that the new pig doesn't have any diseases that your old pig can catch, or you'll have double vet bills.

Read https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html before trying to do any introductions.

Also, how large is your cage? Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression, particularly between boars. If your cage isn't large enough, then don't put them together. And if it's a pet store cage, it's definitely not large enough.

DDNero

Cavy Slave
It's a 2x3 cage

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't even try to put two boars in there -- they'll fight, and you'll be back on here asking what to do for the gashes on their faces and ears. The minimum recommended for two pigs is a 2x4, and that's small even for two sows. I wouldn't put a pair of boars in anything less than 2x5 myself.

DDNero

Cavy Slave
Ok thank you

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.