Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding Gunky stuff on hideys-How to clean?

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,
So I have noticed that there is gunky brown stuff on the inside of Domino's hidey and I don't know what it is, probably just dirt and gunk from Domino, but I thought should clean it. I never thought about it for the past 3 years :/
So my question is: How do you clean it? Do you just use some soap or something else? Should I "deep clean" it after 3 years?
BTW, sorry if this isn't the right category, I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I would do a vinegar and water soak. I also would suggest every or every other cage cleaning just spraying it down with a vinegar/water mixture, rinsing and then drying it.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I usually wipe down the plastic pigloos with vinegar and water once a week when I do a full bedding change; it just kinda seemed like an easy way to practice good sanitation and only takes a minute to wipe off dirt and veggie matter. For 3-yr-old grime, it might require a thorough soak and some scrubbing. I throw fleece hides in with the rest of the fleece and uHaul laundry and wash in hot water with store brand free-and-clear detergent and white vinegar. Cardboard hides I try to just replace whenever I can to keep them from getting too gross.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
@Peggysu @Kelsie @spy9doc @LittleSqueakers thank you for all the replies. It is a plastic one, so I will do a deep clean first, then do a water/vinegar solution every other week or so. Can I use my dish soap which isn't Dawn? Its Palmolive, I believe.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I would imagine Palmolive would be safe to use as long as you rinse well. I've always washed my water bottles in various dishwashing detergents and I've never had any problems for over 7 years.
Ok great thank you!

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
Oh, I washed Domino's pigloo when I watched him one time. lol I just used dish soap and water, like I would for their bowls. So don't worry, it has been cleaned before, haha!

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Oh, I washed Domino's pigloo when I watched him one time. lol I just used dish soap and water, like I would for their bowls. So don't worry, it has been cleaned before, haha!
Oh okay that makes me feel a lot betterlol. It still got really gunky, so I might do a deep clean anyway. You know those pigs;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.