Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Litter box for babies

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
I'll be getting a baby bunny is about a week or two. I'm currently looking for a litter tray to use but am worried that what I was planning on using (cat litter box) may be too high on the sides for it to get into. Does anyone have any suggestions / advice?

CuddleWoozle

Cavy Gazer
Not sure what kind of bunny you're getting, but the young ones I have were perfectly capable of getting in and out of a litter pan. So long as it doesn't have super high sides.

If you're worried about it being too high, maybe you could try what I did for a nest box and get one of those hospital pans and cut the sides down. (Of course, mama bun got annoyed and flipped the whole thing over after a while and dumped the babies out on the floor of the pen. >_<)

Then once they get bigger you can swap out to a regular pan.

That being said, I've never had much luck at getting them litter trained. XD

Fay

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the litter box but I can say that you will want to adopt two bunnies since they need each others company :) There are a lot of good rabbit forums out there with lots of information.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the litter box but I can say that you will want to adopt two bunnies since they need each others company :) There are a lot of good rabbit forums out there with lots of information.

If she's getting baby rabbits, getting two is not a good idea. What often happens is that once hormones activate, they can begin fighting. Sometimes the fight is enough to keep them from bonding for real once they are fixed.

For two rabbits to bond well they must both be fixed (regardless of gender). If one begins with a baby rabbit, then it is best to wait until that baby has grown old enough to be fixed. Once fixed (actually 8 weeks after surgery for a male) then that rabbit can be introduced to other fixed rabbits to pre-screen for potential compatibility.

Some rabbit bondings can be a nightmare. Others can be very difficult. They don't always go smoothly and sometimes two rabbits just won't get along.

The risk with getting two baby bunnies at one time is that it is very possible that they won't get along once they've grown (or even after they've been fixed). Then one would be stuck having to house both separately.

But if one waits to get the second rabbit until after the first has been fixed, then the rescue will work with the owner to ensure they wind up with a compatible match.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.