Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea pig with mange!!!

Jinni

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone, I am the owner of a guinea pig who is suffering from a severe mange mite infestation. I treated him with cattle pour on Ivermectin that I had seen recommended on this website. After his treatment the scab fell off of the small sore that was on his back. However,in the following week his condition severely WORSENED. He now has small sores covering his entire body(that look similar to razor burn), the sore on his behind never quite went away(only the scab that had once been on it),his hair fell out, and he hates to be touched because he's visibly in pain. I will be taking him to the vet come payday, but I would hate to leave him in this condition for another week. Any advice on further treatments, topical creams, or ways to keep him from picking at the sores???

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How did you treat him with the ivermectin? What strength? What dose? How often?

Mites often worsen after the first treatment, but should ease up after the first week or so.

If he's that bad, what he really needs is a steroid to calm the itching down, and only the vet can prescribe that. Can you make arrangements to borrow the money from someone until you get paid?

Also, can you post a picture? Maybe there's something else going on that we might notice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.