Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Should i feed my piggy with fresh grass?

Gunieapignewbie

Cavy Gazer
So i got a yard with a garden, its filled with grass, my dogs usually eat it so im thinking once my pig gets a bit older ill take him to the garden and let him have some nice fresh grass, would that be a good or a bad idea?

mjalred

Cavy Slave
That would be a great idea! There are DEFINETLY a few precautions you should take though!
-make sure that your yard isn't treated with any chemicals
-piggies can overheat and sunburn easily. Make sure it's not too hot
- make sure your piggie is safe from predators, this means buying or building some kind of playpen
-make sure you pick out an area without any plants that could be harmful for any reasons to your pig.
- Last but not least, make sure it's not where any animals go to the bathroom...

have fun fun with your piggie, and stay safe!! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, if you do feed fresh grass, start with very small amounts and gradually build up. Fresh grass can give them horrendous diarrhea that can be life threatening.

Gunieapignewbie

Cavy Gazer
That would be a great idea! There are DEFINETLY a few precautions you should take though!
-make sure that your yard isn't treated with any chemicals
-piggies can overheat and sunburn easily. Make sure it's not too hot
- make sure your piggie is safe from predators, this means buying or building some kind of playpen
-make sure you pick out an area without any plants that could be harmful for any reasons to your pig.
- Last but not least, make sure it's not where any animals go to the bathroom...

have fun fun with your piggie, and stay safe!! :)

yup, all of those things have been taken care of.

Gunieapignewbie

Cavy Gazer
Ya i had that in my mind. I was thinking of bringing him first some fresh grass in small quantities, and when he ate more i go with him to the garden.

Keiralh

Cavy Slave
I often give my guinea pigs fresh grass but I don't put them outside and instead bring the grass to them. I always use grass from my lawn because I know it's not treated with anything. I then usually soak the grass for about 2 minutes just to make sure there isn't anything else that could be on it. Then all I do is put it in a ceramic bowel and let them eat it.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
If you can, yes! Following all the precautions listed above and remembering to introduce slowly, of course.

My pigs absolutely love fresh grass. On most days I go outside and bring in loads of grass as fast as they can eat them -- they eat tons! One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you'll probably have to spot clean more often. Of course, there's nowhere for the grass to go once it's digested except out in the form of poops. So...eh. Unfortunate side effect.

However, it's definitely worth it. Assuming they already have hay, they'll benefit from the extra fiber, and grass has lots of good piggy nutrients. It's also a good bonding activity too, I've found. Piggies like to bond over a big communal pile of grass :) And they learn fast -- now my pigs all wheek when I go out the door, because they're hoping I'll return with a bunch of yummy grass for them ^^;

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.